Replacing Club Wagon Windows, Need Advice!

Terrain

Since buying my '95 E150 Club Wagon, I've been debating what to do with the rear windows to make them more secure so the vehicle isn't so easily broken in to.

I had first thought I could buy some thick metal screen to attach to the interior along with some dark tint. But after seeing an old Suburban with diamond plating used to replace the rear windows I thought that might be a nice option.

I have since searched and found a few other options other than diamond plate, black coated would be my choice so not to blind fellow drivers or myself when washing the van. I found steel sheets that are both hot or cold rolled, or galvanized that have various thickness to choose from so I'm very unsure which thickness to use if going that route. I thought maybe using 16-18 gauge would do the trick but thought I'd ask for an opinion. I plan to buy LizardSkin ceramic coating to line the interior and would use it to also cover the metal to reduce any heat transfer into the cab.

Does anyone one else here have some thoughts on this issue or maybe some other ideas?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Dark tinted windows with interior walls added inside the van.

Then build it out like it was a cargo van IF security is a big priority.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Install what ever you decide on on the interior. Do not draw more attention with exterior security.

Look at commercial van upfitters for parts and ideas.

Terrain

Dark tinted windows with interior walls added inside the van.

Then build it out like it was a cargo van IF security is a big priority.

I had thought about adding walls to the rear & just cover them up or maybe some van shelving on both sides to cover the windows but decided against the shelves since it would take up too much cargo space.

Install what ever you decide on on the interior. Do not draw more attention with exterior security.

Look at commercial van upfitters for parts and ideas.

Thanks for getting those links, I had looked at items like that but the screens only work for 4 small windows & I have a sliding door so only two of the four would work for me & still leave the larger rear windows unprotected.

I would go with a mesh of some kind on its interior and aside from apply tint or outright blackout, leave its glass alone.
My fleet trucks were were meshed with whatever glass was original.
Some guys tinted themself or otherwise blacked the windows, a couple guys security filmed their glass. I left my glass as-is. I liked whatever rear view I could get and light.

The usual break-in was defeating its exterior lock. A quiet couple minute process, nothing more than open a gap thru the sheetmetal using a big screwdriver.

I plan on using a mesh/wire screen in the two rear door windows, maybe on the two rear side windows but I'm still debating on the black diamond plating. From a distance it'll still look like the van has blackout tint till you're close enough to actually see the metal. With the diamond plating it would take care of two things at once, black out & security so no double the cost on those windows. The rest of the windows will get tint so I can still be able to crack them open on cool days.

ExpoMike

If you're going with metal, get some sheet aluminum in the same thickness of the glass. Pop the glass out and use as a template. Then paint or powder coat semi gloss black and install. They will look like windows unless you are right up on them. Diamond plate looks very "redneck" and not going to be as stealth as smooth metal.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I had thought about adding walls to the rear & just cover them up or maybe some van shelving on both sides to cover the windows but decided against the shelves since it would take up too much cargo space.

Thanks for getting those links, I had looked at items like that but the screens only work for 4 small windows & I have a sliding door so only two of the four would work for me & still leave the larger rear windows unprotected.

I plan on using a mesh/wire screen in the two rear door windows, maybe on the two rear side windows but I'm still debating on the black diamond plating. From a distance it'll still look like the van has blackout tint till you're close enough to actually see the metal. With the diamond plating it would take care of two things at once, black out & security so no double the cost on those windows. The rest of the windows will get tint so I can still be able to crack them open on cool days.

FYI - Sliding door window screen - https://www.adriansteel.com/item/ca...ne/ford_accessories/ford_window_screens/60-14

Terrain

Thanks for the link! Some reason every other place I found online never had that item listed. Even a search didn't bring up any sites that offered it, but I did find a site that sold an Adrian Steel partition & was able to find it there after digging deeper. I had emailed another site for a price quote but the one I did find is listed at $79.80.

I checked the dimensions of the van windows and it appears that the sliding door window is the same size as the window behind the drivers seat. If I go this route I'll be using steel or aluminium plate to cover the rear side windows. If I were to use wire screen there I'd end up just doing it all around with the same material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles