Replacing cam cover seals on gen 3 monty

lilkia

Well the montys dripping out the cam seals right onto the exhaust and I need to get them changed. Took it to the mechanic since I have limited time right now but he wants $500 for four freaking bolts so Im going to do it myself. I know its a pain getting to them but Im sure someone here has done it and has some tips. Anybody have any advice?

Plan for quite a few hours, you’ll need to remove the entire intake assembly to access the driver’s side.

Don’t buy anything but OEM Mitsubishi cam cover seals from the dealer, or they will leak.

Replace the cam covers with OEM Mitsubishi ones as well because they are likely bent and won’t seal.

I know all this because I first tried Fel-Pro gaskets from NAPA and they didn’t fit well, then I used OEM Mitsu gaskets and they fit good but don’t seal because the cam covers (with 130k miles on them) are tweaked.

James

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I know a lot of guys bend up their valve covers doing this job so it's a good idea to at least have a source for new ones. I didn't have an issue when i did mine at 60k (they didn't leak) miles with the timing belt just because. Getting ready to do them again at 70k (4 years or so) again not because they leak but I'm doing plugs and wires early so might as well install new gaskets while i have the manifold off.

lilkia

I think were talking about different seals. These are the o-rings on the cam thrust cap on the back of the heads against the firewall. I know they will be difficult to reach but Ive seen posts where people have done this in just a couple hours.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ah, those. Yeah, that's a really easy job. Get a ratcheting wrench and make your life easy, a pro knocks that out in under an hour and charges you the flat rate which is removing everything. That's how mechanic shops work, that's how they make money by mastering their craft.

Oh those... There is only one seal on the 3.5, on the passenger side if Inremember correctly. The driver’s side is sealed with RTV. The dealer can confirm that when you give them your VIN.

James

lilkia

Well I tackled part of this yesterday. According to the dealer both sides have orings but Im not sure he was right. The pass side was a diamond shaped flat plate with a cylinder going into the engine on which the o ring sits. The driver side is a smaller plate but the cylinder shape sticks out. So Im not sure how the seal works. I need to break out the service manual.
I did the passenger side in a whopping 15 minutes. I started on the driver side but need to get another ratcheting 12mm. Between the meat hammers I have for hands and the short wrenchet I have I wasnt able to get to the driver side. It appears the leak causing the burning oil smell was from the passenger side.
My plan is to modify a wrenchet by cutting the open end off and welding on a piece of flat bar to make it long enough and bendable to get my paws on it and manuvere(sp?) It around the obstructions. Or if its not leaking than I will probably just forget about it till it does.

Which engine do you have? Have the parts guy at the dealer show you the picture of both having o-rings... the 3.5L for sure only has one o-ring, not sure about the 3.8L...

James

lilkia

Which engine do you have? Have the parts guy at the dealer show you the picture of both having o-rings... the 3.5L for sure only has one o-ring, not sure about the 3.8L...

James

Its the 3.5. He may have showed the pic for the 3.8 as it showed one on each side. What is on the driver side to seal it then? It is definately a different cam cover.

It’s a sensor that uses RTV to seal on the driver’s side of the 3.5. They don’t usually leak there. I would just install the new passenger o-ring and move on.

James

lilkia

It’s a sensor that uses RTV to seal on the driver’s side of the 3.5. They don’t usually leak there. I would just install the new passenger o-ring and move on.

James

Thats the plan for now. Passenger side is done just waiting to see if I still have a leak or burning oil smell.

icant4x4heretoo

ah those suckers...if it gets stuck on the driver side. don't pry it out. you'll break the ears off. :mad: grab WD-40 spray it ALOT twist it and work that WD-40 into it. if you can tap it. it took me about an hour working it to have it come out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior