replacement Wildernest spring

doofie

I ended up ordering 2 sets one as a backup. They arrived today and I just finished installing them. Thanks again for the help.

gwittman your eye calipers are pretty precise! They fit perfectly.

Doofie

doofie

My springs are still good, but I'm sure its just a matter of time. Mind if I ask how much it cost to have yours made?

A gentleman mentioned in another post that he was able to get them made for a "couple of Ben Franklins".
I ended up paying much more than that. I guess it depends on were one lives. Good luck

doofie

Where did you get yours made doofie? I would like to get backups made.

Hi Emorphius and everyone else interested,

I had mine made through a company in Ottawa dealing in industial components (but they contracted out to another company as they did not have the facilities, so i would need to see if it is on the bill).

It is cheaper to buy another second hand nest in my opinion but since there are none for sale in Canada...

Having said that i know that if more than two sets were ordered (like me) it would have been heck of a lot cheaper (per unit) as the initially high cost for mine was due to the intial machine set up and after that any springs made would be cheap.

Also my nest is the one that sits on a small truck. I'm not sure it the springs are the same in the larger campers that sit on the ford f150's (for example)

Cheers
Andrew

doofie

I will try to get a quote for you guys for example if an order of 10, 15 or 20 sets were made

I think the price per spring was 250 CND is 5 sets were made (not including taxes).

I expect that if more were made it would be a heck of a lot cheaper per set.

Cheers
Doofie

pthomas

I might be interested. Just picked up a very old wildernest (Lowe Alpine version) and my springs are very rusty. Will be good to have a backup set. Off chance anyone know how old a nest with a 60060 serial serial is? Mine looks a bit different and has no wildernest markings on it.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd be interested in trying. Got any ideas on how to convert over?

Also, how do y'all safely decompress the springs for removal?

I thinking of making a bracket that mounts to the cross support of the shell, with another on the center support.

What I don't know is if there is enough clearance for the strut when it closes. Only glanced at it...will do a mockup to check clearances.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd be interested in trying. Got any ideas on how to convert over?

Also, how do y'all safely decompress the springs for removal?

I thinking of making a bracket that mounts to the cross support of the shell, with another on the center support.

What I don't know is if there is enough clearance for the strut when it closes. Only glanced at it...will do a mockup to check clearances.

gwittman

Adventurer
The problem I see with struts is; they would only work in one direction. The springs work in both directions. They help lift from a closed position and also help lift from a fully open position. The springs tend to become unloaded somewhere between the closed and fully open positions. That is the way I perceive the operation of them anyway.
I am in the process of getting my Wildernest re-painted. I have taken everything apart and am totally refurbishing it including a new tent. My springs are still in good condition but would be interested in a group buy if the price is reasonable.

pthomas

The problem I see with struts is; they would only work in one direction. The springs work in both directions. They help lift from a closed position and also help lift from a fully open position. The springs tend to become unloaded somewhere between the closed and fully open positions. That is the way I perceive the operation of them anyway.
I am in the process of getting my Wildernest re-painted. I have taken everything apart and am totally refurbishing it including a new tent. My springs are still in good condition but would be interested in a group buy if the price is reasonable.

How did you end up taking apart the main support bar and spring? Trying to figure out how to dismantle everything without the spring unloading on me.

Clutch

<---Pass
I would imagine you have to disconnect the cables to let the spring "open" fully.

Not a Wildernest spring, but you get the idea.

HINGE-SQUARE-APPLICATION.jpg

The spring is essentially what they use for trailer gate assists.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Torsion-ramp-Springs-Hitch-Pins-Ramp-Gate-Assists

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
I just place the cap in a position that puts the spring in a near neutral position and securely support it, then unbolt the cable from the cap. There is usually a little tension but not a big deal. I then unbolt the other end of the cable and unbolt the bottom of the main support bar. From there I just lift the support bar off of the spring. That is actually one of the of the easier things to do during disassembly. Undoing all those screws and rivets that hold everything together may not be difficult but sure is time consuming and monotonous.
Clutch, I don't think your representations of the spring positions are correct. I don't have the shell to take a look and be sure but my recollection is the spring is attached to the main support bar and the bottom section of the shell. The main support only rotates 90 degrees so the spring would also only open and close 90 degrees. I have the rear spring in my hand and in its relaxed position it is in the 180 degree (flat) position that you show. I am guessing the closed position is probably somewhere around 225 degrees closed and 135 degrees open relative to the figures in your drawing. I am probably off some on that because I think the springs are under more tension in the closed position than in the open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles