replacement Wildernest spring

bgordon45

Last night the front spring (closest to cab) snapped. I unfolded the 'nest and was sitting on the sleeping bunk to lock in the poles. I assume it was just repeated stress as I don't believe it got hung up on anything.

Does anyone know where I could get a new one of these? I suppose I'll have to get one fabricated. Any ideas on specs? Is this part structural and absorb weight when in the 'nest or is it just to ease the opening process? Thanks.
-Blake

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Saw your PM, BTW. This is not an uncommon problem! You are right that it's usually just repetitive cycles but the straight length that slides in the tube on the top does get hung up and that seems to bind them up a bit. I find that dry lube, like a little graphite, helps them operate smooth but eventually they all break. BTW, dry lube and sparingly otherwise the lube gets all over the tent fabric. DAMHIK. It's a visual issue more than anything, just makes the inside of the tent look sloppy.

Open the yellow pages and search, most big cities still have custom spring shops. It has been a few years since I've had any made, but there was one here in Denver. It won't necessarily be cheap, on the order of a Ben Franklin or two for a couple of them. Also showing them the old one will help since not all 'Nest springs are the same length on the long side (the bent part that runs down along the rib that is held in place with the washer and cotter pin).

bgordon45

Wow. I didn't think it would be that expensive. There are quite a few bends going on in there though. Is this a structural part? Does it help support the bed or is merely to ease stress on the springs when opening/closing. Thanks.
-Blake

climber-420

Adventurer
I am looking to get a set of these. Any words of advice? Shops in Denver? Extra parts any one has laying around willing to sell?

gwittman

Adventurer
I didn't realize this is a common problem. I have been using mine for 25 years and they are still intact. Now, I feel like they will fail the next time I use them. I have a brother living in Kansas that worked for the company that built the shell and assembled the entire unit. I will see him in a couple months. I will see if he knows who made them originally.

I am pretty sure the only function of them is to help lift and lower the top when opening and closing. I can't see how they would have any structural function but it is possible they take some load off of the hinges.

Arclight

SAR guy
You might be able to make up a jig and wind one yourself out of music wire from a hobby shop. Would be worth a try.

Arclight

Last night the front spring (closest to cab) snapped. I unfolded the 'nest and was sitting on the sleeping bunk to lock in the poles. I assume it was just repeated stress as I don't believe it got hung up on anything.

Does anyone know where I could get a new one of these? I suppose I'll have to get one fabricated. Any ideas on specs? Is this part structural and absorb weight when in the 'nest or is it just to ease the opening process? Thanks.
-Blake

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I am pretty sure the only function of them is to help lift and lower the top when opening and closing. I can't see how they would have any structural function but it is possible they take some load off of the hinges.

Yeah, not completely necessary but they sure are nice. My nest was missing them when I first got it and I used it that way for a few months. You really miss it when packing the last bit of tent material in before latching it down.

bgordon45

I am looking to get a set of these. Any words of advice? Shops in Denver? Extra parts any one has laying around willing to sell?

I've actually been using mine without the springs for some time. It may work best if someone finds a source and we go in for a group buy.

You just have to be a little more careful when closing the top. I've noticed that my Wildernest has put outward pressure on the rails of the bed and I'm thinking there is less pressure without the springs so am living without them for now.

dman93

Adventurer
This looks like a very standard type of spring. The dimensions are of course almost certainly custom, but any industrial spring shop could clone it off of the broken sample. I bet if you measure it and make a simple drawing, you could shop it around. Or, as Arclight suggested, maybe even try to make one yourself. Much easier than a replacement FlipPac torsion bar!

doofie

question about springs

Hello all.

Long time lurker first time poster.

Both of the springs in my Wildernest Camper are broken.I do have most of the pieces. I have one spring in two pieces and the other only the bottom part remains.

Question: (as i cannot tell from looking at their remains) Are the two springs complements of each other -are they mirror images of each other?

I am looking to get some made using what remains of mine as templates. If they are the same front and back then it will be cheaper. If they mirror images it will be a bit more expensive.

Cheers
Doofie

gwittman

Adventurer
I don't remember if they are the same or not but it seems if they are mirror images, you could just flip one to get the mirror. Maybe my mind is too simple. I will be opening my Wildernest the weekend. I will try to remember to take a look to see if they are interchangeable.

doofie

Thanks gwittman,

I dropped off what I had at a company and I hope to get a quote by next week. Depending on price I may order extras.

But let me know if they look to be mirror images because I specified that they are. ;)

Cheers
Doofie

gwittman

Adventurer
Yes, they are mirror images and are not interchangeable. I forgot what they looked like and as soon as I saw the configuration I could tell the were not interchangeable. I didn't measure them precisely but my eye caliper says making mirror images should work.

doofie

Yes, they are mirror images and are not interchangeable. I forgot what they looked like and as soon as I saw the configuration I could tell the were not interchangeable. I didn't measure them precisely but my eye caliper says making mirror images should work.

Perfect Thank You gwittman. Hopefully i get a decent quote from the company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles