Replacement larger diesel tanks

805gregg

Adventurer
I have a 2003 Dodge, quad cab, long bed, SRW, 4X4 anyone put a bigger fuel tank on theirs? Or have a good recommendation, for aftermarket diesel fuel tanks?

D

DEEZLPWR

i was actually thinking of getting a fuel tank of another diesel that was wrecked, 00-01 and placing it on the passenger side, plumb it in with a fuel pump and have a fill neck on the passenger side. that will give me balanced 70 gallons of fuel. i was going to put the exhaust spitting out just behind the cab under the truck.

milo12

Adventurer
I would not recommend the Titan tank. It is plastic and can easily be punctured. They do sell a shield but why get a plastic tank when you can get a steel tank. My vote is Tranferflow or Aerotank.

I am going to get an Aerotank. http://www.aerotanks.com/ For my truck they have a 75 gallon replacement tank.:coffeedrink:

wcdu

Observer
I had my dealer replace my stock tank with a 45 gal tank in my 2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crewcab. They used all the stock plumbing and the warrantee remained good except if the tank itself leaked. My dash display computer gets a little weird toward the end on how much fuel I have left. Somewhere around the 36 gal mark it thinks I am running out. Not really a problem as the computer also tells you how much you have used.

I believe this was the best aftermarket accessory I have ever acquired and certainly the best thousand bucks.

Steve

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Here's one way, this is for a 2006 PSD, but RDS/Northern Tools sells the same tank and gravity feed kit for the Dodges. http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...ling_an_Aux_Fuel_Tank_paper_2007-06-18_R1.pdf

The last two pages pretty much prove that Transfer Flow is incompetent or unethical or both.

Good luck.

Al

I read the last two pages and miss your point. I've been pretty satisfied with TF in my vehicle.

The TF tanks don't just gravity feed, they have a computer that controlls the fill of the OEM tank, not the injector or 'fill tube' of the OEM tank.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I find the plastic tanks to be interesting, straight bolt in replacement with a protection plate if required.

Are you all in favor of steel tanks because that's what you are used to, or do you have some good reasoning behind wanting steel?

Plastic is light weight, doesn't rust, bends rather than splits or punctures, vs steel.

I'm not sold either way I just like to keep my options open.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I find the plastic tanks to be interesting, straight bolt in replacement with a protection plate if required.

Are you all in favor of steel tanks because that's what you are used to, or do you have some good reasoning behind wanting steel?

Plastic is light weight, doesn't rust, bends rather than splits or punctures, vs steel.

I'm not sold either way I just like to keep my options open.

Here are some of the criteria I used to buy my TF tanks:

I can fix a leaking steel tank in the field (soap, tire patch, RTV silicone, or liquid steel). I can't fix a leaking plastic tank, the flexing will defeat the soap, patch and RTV, and the RTV and liquid steel won't stick well to the plastic.

The TF replacement tanks are bolt in also, no advantage either way. However, TF does offer 'factory' installations, they did both of mine for the price of 1 ($100, it was on special) and an afternoons wait. Titan doesn't seem to offer 'factory' installs.

They are also somewhat (25% or so) less expensive ($800 vs. $1069), especially since the skid plate from Titan is also plastic, and another $100. Titan charges a flat rate shipping which is disadvantageous to people who are nearby, TF charges actual costs.

TF has tanks available for gas, as well as diesel; replacement and crossbed tanks, Titan is diesel, replacement, only. Shipping weight on the TF 60 gallon tank is a bit under 200 lbs, I have no idea what the weight (shipping or actual) is on the Titan, but one of the (minor) reasons I have the bigger tanks (especially the cross bed) is to get some weight in the truck for daily driving, to smooth out the ride a bit so the extra weight isn't exactly unwelcome.

However, Titan does have a replacement tank that is somewhat larger - 67 gal vs. 60, for an additional $200. This one offers a steel bull-nose protector on the front: I wonder if they discovered they needed more protection?

Last edited:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I wonder if water vapour condensation is less likely in a plastic tank vs steel?

Maybe (because the steel tank will change temps faster), but I don't think to any significant degree. The only fuel tanks I've ever had rust out were sitting in water (GI Jeeps) or got significant amounts of water in through the filler from missing caps.

milo12

Adventurer
A plastic tank can get punctured by a stick as small as a quarter inch in diameter. For street use a plastic tank is fine. A plastic tank is just too risky off road. I think the plastic shield they offer is a joke. Obviously the tank needs protection but they are too cheap to make a metal shield.

If the plastic tank was less than half the price of the others I would consider it and make my own metal shield. A rotomolded plastic tank should be dirt cheap, all other rotomolded products are very inexpensive.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There are plenty of plastic fuel tank repair kits out there that seem to do the job. Permatex makes one

I don't think it's a matter of "cheapness" making a plastic skid plate, with all the different permutations plastic can be created in there is no real reason why it shouldn't do a good job protecting the tank.

The pricing may just be a function of volume of production. As stated rotomolding is inexpensive, but creating the mold is very expensive and has to be amortized over the production run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles