Replacement AEV 2.5 inch springs?

slvyj

Observer
I have a 2012 JKUR with AEV 2.5 inch lift, front and rear bumpers, winch and Gobi rack. Just started towing a trailer. The lift kit has been on for over 60,000 miles, a lot of it highway miles with a heavy load. I think its time to replace the shocks, but last weekend i was replacing the factory front upper bump-stops when I noticed the front springs are very rusted. I have no issue with the kit, has served me well and I have an email to AEV seeing if its possible to buy replacement springs. Would it be better to replace the springs with OME or Metalcloak? If I did replace with another brand, do I need to replace anything else? My Jeep is heavy, so I'm looking for something that can handle the weight. Thoughts? Thanks.

jadmt

ignore button user
northridge4x4 will sell you new AEV springs alacart and it will be cheaper than ordering direct from AEV because NR ships for free and AEV charges shipping. If you are heavy and do not want to lift more than you are OME makes a set of coils to do that.

ratled

Adventurer
+1 for Northridge.. and being in OR, no sales tax. Trying using the promo code "EXPO" for more savings as they support this site

dstock

Explorer
I have the same AEV lift on my JK which is also on the heavy side, but not heavy all the time. I added air bags in the rear springs to help with when I have an extra load or I'm towing and it works out nicely. It's really a question if you are heavy all the time and if the answer is yes, then a heavier duty spring makes sense. If not, putting in a heavier duty spring is going to affect your ride quality when you aren't loaded down.

1stDeuce

Explorer
It is very unlikely that the rust on your springs is affecting their weight capability much at all... You might consider just having them sandblasted and either paint or powder coat them if the rust offends you. I would also agree that OME/AEV are the ONLY two springs I'd recommend putting back in if you really want to buy new... The AEV springs are tuned for proper ride with reasonable load. If you are running a LOT heavier than normal, air bags might be a good option, particularly for the rear when towing.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
With the weight you're running with the trailer you should take a hard look at the OME springs.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Additionally, I have found since running a RTT atop my JKU that in addition to having springs up to the task of the weight carried a good set of stiff gas shocks really tames the ESC from kicking in. When I originally was running the Teraflex lift the ESC would kick in a lot, with the OME springs and gas shocks, not so much. I really believe that 99% of what some JKU owners think is "death wobble" is nothing more than the ESC kicking after hitting a road irregularity that induces some body roll.

zgfiredude

How does one go about figuring out how much spring to go to? I too am in a similar situation ie, JKU, Gobi, two people, and some camping stuff/cooler in the back. I'll also have a +/- 1500 lb off road teardrop at times. I have a winch and bumpers, but they are aluminum. I've been leaning towards the AEV 2.5" lift, but wondered about weight capacities. I am weight conscious, but want to have the Jeep be well suited for my use. It is not a daily driver per se, as I work from home.

slvyj

Observer
Thanks for all the responses, general census is stay with the AEV springs. I have set of airbags, just haven't had the chance to install them.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
How does one go about figuring out how much spring to go to? I too am in a similar situation ie, JKU, Gobi, two people, and some camping stuff/cooler in the back. I'll also have a +/- 1500 lb off road teardrop at times. I have a winch and bumpers, but they are aluminum. I've been leaning towards the AEV 2.5" lift, but wondered about weight capacities. I am weight conscious, but want to have the Jeep be well suited for my use. It is not a daily driver per se, as I work from home.

figuring springs is a difficult thing to do as there isn’t any direct comparison between competitors, so I’ll share my info. My JKU fully loaded ranges from 6150 to 6400 lbs. I’ve managed to hit a dot scale every trip asI’ve been working on some weight loss. I’m running the ome 2620 springs in the back and the 2619 up front with ome gas shocks and it works for me. It’s a little stiff unloaded but not unmanageable.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks for all the responses, general census is stay with the AEV springs. I have set of airbags, just haven't had the chance to install them.

Just a note on the airbags, while it is possible to slip them in with the springs in place, I found it much quicker to just pull the spring and install them.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just a note on the airbags, while it is possible to slip them in with the springs in place, I found it much quicker to just pull the spring and install them.

I’ll go one further and say I probably could have put them into the stock springs in place, but the AEV have more coils much closer together and you’ll hate yourself for trying. Just drop the axle and pull the springs... way simpler.

dstock

Explorer
I’ll go one further and say I probably could have put them into the stock springs in place, but the AEV have more coils much closer together and you’ll hate yourself for trying. Just drop the axle and pull the springs... way simpler.

^Exactly this, and I do hate myself for trying!!! ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles