Replace this axle?

Photobug

My truck bed trailer buy has a major flaw. The utility bed was placed on an axle frame from another truck and the attempt at a surge brake is not working. The surge brake tongue does not provide enough pressure to work the brakes on the original hub. I am thinking of swapping out this axle for a 7k electric brake axle. I am going to be in a big city next week so could pick up an axle then if you all can help me pick out what I need. I was hoping to keep the rims and tires I have on there now, so I will be looking at a Ford compatible 8 hole hub.

Do i need to remove a wheel to get my axle length or can I approximate it, by taking measurements underneath or externally?

How much weight might this swap save me?

Attachments

• 20190930_113002.jpg
    20190930_113002.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190930_113059.jpg
    20190930_113059.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190930_113142.jpg
    20190930_113142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190930_113153.jpg
    20190930_113153.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190930_133449.jpg
    20190930_133449.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Wheel mounting surface to wheel mount in surface is the number you want. I'd put it on jack stands, take off both wheels and use a tape measure to measure WMS to WMS at the bottom

java

Expedition Leader
Yes a trailer axle will be much better. Pop 5he wheels off and measure. You want mounting surface to mounting surface.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ITTOG

I am not so sure a different axle will solve your problems. If the surge tongue isn't working properly the axle/brakes combo won't matter. Have you investigated why it doesn't provide enough pressure? Do you know what pressure it provides and the pressure requirements for a new axle/brake combo. A new axle may be the solution but right now it seems there is a lot of missing information before a solid decision can be made.

Photobug

I am not so sure a different axle will solve your problems. If the surge tongue isn't working properly the axle/brakes combo won't matter. Have you investigated why it doesn't provide enough pressure? Do you know what pressure it provides and the pressure requirements for a new axle/brake combo. A new axle may be the solution but right now it seems there is a lot of missing information before a solid decision can be made.

From my expertise (what I have read on the net or have been told) surge brakes are designed specifically for use with boat trailers where there is no electronics to get messed with when dunking the trailer. They are somehow designed to work with a tongue actuator. Normal brakes on a vehicle are to be used in conjunction with a much more sophisticate braking mechanism of the vehicle which includes a master cylinder that increases the pressure to activate 4 sets of brakes in a balanced way.

I plan on adding an electric braking axle on this based on suggestions from a welding forum. The trailer currently has a pintle hitch but I have added an extension so I can add a camper to the top and needed the extra clearance. It will be set up so I can go from pintle to 2" ball hitch (empty trailer or trailer with camper installed).

Photobug

I've never seen an 8 bolt trailer hub so keeping the same wheels might be a problem.

When I looked in the past it seemed like they were out there. Maybe they aren't originally trailer axles. Either way I did not get the time to measure so won't be getting the axle on this trip. I go back this way at the end of the month. Hopefully I can figure out the logistics by then.

ITTOG

From my expertise (what I have read on the net or have been told) surge brakes are designed specifically for use with boat trailers where there is no electronics to get messed with when dunking the trailer. They are somehow designed to work with a tongue actuator. Normal brakes on a vehicle are to be used in conjunction with a much more sophisticate braking mechanism of the vehicle which includes a master cylinder that increases the pressure to activate 4 sets of brakes in a balanced way.

I plan on adding an electric braking axle on this based on suggestions from a welding forum. The trailer currently has a pintle hitch but I have added an extension so I can add a camper to the top and needed the extra clearance. It will be set up so I can go from pintle to 2" ball hitch (empty trailer or trailer with camper installed).
Yeah electric will definitely solve the problem. I thought you were trying to stay hydraulic. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Alloy

Be easier installing an electric over hydraulic actuator. Below is a 1000psi pump. They make 1200psi and 1600psi acctuators but I'd be surprised if you need that much pressure.

If you can find a local service center for the pumps it might be possible to buy one used/rebuilt.

LikeABoss

Observer
Most, if not all, 7k axles will be 8 bolt, 8x6.5.

I replaced my surge brakes with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. The higher pressure actuator is for discs, lower for drums. It’s a pretty easy conversion especially if you retain the drums.

cjken

Explorer
I’ve got electric over hydraulic brakes on my ambulance trailer.
I have not pulled it much since it is incomplete and not yet registered, but they seem to work well and may fit your application.
3f57451d5b8090b499eb1c5787e2bc1a.jpg

Photobug

Be easier installing an electric over hydraulic actuator. Below is a 1000psi pump. They make 1200psi and 1600psi acctuators but I'd be surprised if you need that much pressure.

If you can find a local service center for the pumps it might be possible to buy one used/rebuilt.

I am not familiar with this setup. But when I looked at some electric only axles they were about $300. The electric over hydraulic only pump is $550, plus the cost of the axle, this assuming I have to replace the current axle, the electric over hydraulic gets expensive. What are the advantages of electric over hydraulic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online