Replace fog lights with LED driving lights?

smiper

Observer
Has anyone replaced their stock Toyota fog lights with LED driving lights like a Rigid dually? Would they even need a new wiring harness, or could they simply be tied into the existing fog light circuit?

CMiller

Adventurer
I did the same on my 4Runner, Duallys are way brighter and I got the amber clip on covers for better visibility in inclement weather. Also I did the fog light switch mod so they can be turned on whenever.

Last edited:

bat

Explorer
I removed the stock switch and added after market switch so I can run them anytime

001.jpg007.jpg

smiper

Observer
I tied mine into the existing circuit. Works great! Led draws way less than the stock halogen.

Did you run them in parallel, or simply cut the fog lights out and stick duallies in there? I'd like to do the latter, and it certainly sounds safe and easy enough.

I'm working on a 2006 4runner with a stock bumper, btw. I'll need to build some kind of baffle or mount to replace the fog light fairing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yes, when I had my new bumper built the builder supplied a pair of LED lights that were fitted to the bumper.

Wiring couldn't have been simpler: He unplugged the fog lights, then I think he had to splice in a connector to the LEDs, and then plugged them in. Easy and totally reversible if I want to.

Don't have a picture with the lights turned on but here is what they look like:

2013_0528_143017AA_zpsb5c2d0ce.jpg

They work perfectly with the stock switch on the turn signal stalk. Not sure how they compare bright-wise, as I haven't taken the 4runner off-road since I got them. I also have not (yet) done the independent-fog-light mod (that will allow me to run the fogs without the headlights on.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles