Replace Engine or Move onto Newer Van?

TrevorK

There's a video on YouTube where a guy pulls a 6.8l out of a cutaway van with an engine hoist. I think he pulled the intake manifold off and rigged a lift point tight and low in the valley with a chain. At some point I think I saw a picture where someone welded up a mount that attached to the front of the engine using various bolt holes for accessory items that cantilevered off of an engine hoist arm. With some thought I bet your could pull that 5.4 out without a problem.... if you have too.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
All vans are a pain in the ass to work on when compared to their truck counterparts

But vans kick ass so we live with it

I've heard that some mechanics won't work on Van's... and it a diesel, It's even worse. I agree with others, despite the hassles, I'm very happy wih my rig, and have no plans to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
What you heard about mechanics not willing to work on vans is absolutely true. As a matter of fact, about 4 months ago I called 5 places to fix a oil leak on my 7.3 van and theee of those phuckers actually hung up on me, two said no and the laat said he would call me back.
I had no choice but to do it myself. (Fittings on the backside of the HPOP)

What you heard about mechanics not willing to work on vans is absolutely true. As a matter of fact, about 4 months ago I called 5 places to fix a oil leak on my 7.3 van and theee of those phuckers actually hung up on me, two said no and the laat said he would call me back.
I had no choice but to do it myself. (Fittings on the backside of the HPOP)
I got a quote of $400 to change the plugs!

I couldn't understand why until I started it. Lots of cussing on the FIRST day!

Day two I turned off the death metal and switched to Tom Petty. I then realized my eyes were useless and started doing everything by feel. It went a little better after that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
When my glow plugs weren’t working I ordered plugs and a monster relay. When I removed the old relay I found it was crispy and cracked... after installing the relay, replacing the plugs isn’t a necessity. Oddly enough I’m not in a big rush to pull both valve covers and rip the skin off most of my knuckles.

I've done plugs and coils on a V10 Van a while back, what made it a bunch easier was pulling out the front seats. As well on working anything else through the dog house.
Most things, diesel or gas in the vans is by feeling....
On a great note, checking all 8 plugs today for tightness only took me 2 1/2 hours! A tenth of the time it took me to replace them a couple of months ago.

On a sad note, they were all tight and not the source of my tapping noise. The serpentine belt was fine as well.

I really think you have to approach working on these vans with a certain zen approach. My usual approach is SMASH!!!! so it is a bit of a change of pace to relax and have patience with the stupid spark plug boot that absolutely refuses to go back in the hole that is there but I can not possibly see!!

CLM

I did 8 plugs and 8 coils on my 5.4 and thought it was actually easier than expected. I pulled all of the air intake, then sat down in the floor and slowly did the 6 of them from that position. Finished the driver side front two from the front of the vehicle.

I did 8 plugs and 8 coils on my 5.4 and thought it was actually easier than expected. I pulled all of the air intake, then sat down in the floor and slowly did the 6 of them from that position. Finished the driver side front two from the front of the vehicle.
My temper was making it far worse!

Here is a short video of the sound. Seems worse with the dog house off. Sticking my ear to the oil pan and I could feel the ticking...

Disregard, evidently I can't post videos thru Tapatalk any more.

If you pull the belt off and start the engine that should rule out anything external. AC compressor/ water pump/tensioner. Have you checked/changed the oil?
Ok, I will try that.

It has been going thru a lot of oil recently but I thought it was due to a leak I had. Looked earlier and the leak isn't enough time account for the 3-4 quarts over 4000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste