Repairs to cracked steel rims

G’day gentlemen,

I’m faced with a dilemma, which you gentlemen of experience may be able to resolve for me. I have an Isuzu NPS300, and like me, it’s getting old, it was new in 1996.

More than twenty years ago, I had custom wheels made for it. The plan was to stay at 17 inch wheels and just weld my centres into wider tubeless rims with adjusted offset. The wheel-maker— this is before ATV, Warrior, and all those trendy companies started up— rang me to say that the (tubeless) rims wouldn’t fit over the brake drums, and should he turn the brake drums down to fit the rims. I didn’t like the sound of that idea too much, so we went up a size to 17.5 inch rims. That severely limited my choice of tyres, although Michelins XZY (XZY is short for expensive) do the job.

Now, though, a second rim has cracked, for the second time. I’m very aware that welding rims is circumspect, but they were welded in the first instance, and a wheel repair firm in Adelaide, is prepared to do the job— or at least look at it, in a week's time.

Any positive advice that anybody can share in that regard (repairs to cracked steel rims) would be welcome; I’m currently on the road, at Overland Corner in SA. I’m mobile but need my wheel fixed. I have a related question, about replacing them all, which I’ll spin off in another topic.
Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I have welded rims numerous times and there is probably not a right way or wrong way other than using the right welding rods. If they are a rim repair mob than they will know what is best.
I will say that they are probably cracking from fatigue (rim is flexing). Rim blanks were not heavy enough.

Dan.

Korey H

Hi Geoff.

We’re from Missouri in the US and now on a multi month trip currently in Guatemala. We drive a GMC C5500 4x quad cab that weighs in at 19,500 lb.

Currently running a 1st attack made custom 20” steel rim.

Along our route we’ve begun crackling rims. Only in the rear which if I recall weighs 13.5. Anyhow. One rim we’ve had welded 3x and now just as a back up last resort has a tube put in it (this is not expected to be used for more than emergency). That wheel is cracking parallel to the hub.

One other wheel has had a very short crack out from the valve stem. It’s been welded and now so far is holding.

Nonetheless my experience is that once they begin cracking I think their time is limited. Oddly this issue took 1.5 years to surface and MANY miles.

As such I’ve now ordered new custom Stazworks wheels which are being shipped down (2 down, 2 planned for home delivery).

John at Stazworks has been very helpful and generous with time and is very knowledgeable. You might check them out.

Just my experience. I have a build thread in the forum at c5500 mobile command family overlander and on IG @wehartstravel

Happy to share anything else we’ve learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior