Renogy vs Grape Solar

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have two hard panel 10 watt renogy panels. Good quality for the price. I went solid and small panels for better durability and output. I stow mine in padded boxes while on the go and set them out when needed.

unseenone

Explorer
There are subtle differences in them. The GS one pictured is an older one. I really like the Grape Solar which replaced that one, it's more rigid, ie:thicker and has bigger grommet holes. The performance has been stellar. I would talk to them directly or confirm with the seller first.

The other one is a variation of the thin one like Grape Solar, except it has more grommet holes. I can't speak to the performance of it, but they're a well respected brand.

unseenone

Explorer
I think the description and dimensions of the go power more closely match the Grape Solar I described. I'm not sure about driving on it, never considered it.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
What application are you using them for?

Sticking a flexible panel down on the roof will result in a ~12% drop in power due to additional heat from poor ventilation. Rigid panels will weigh a bit more but will perform better when mounted with a decent air gap and will last a lot longer as they're more durable.

If weight > performance then consider flexible panels (we have 400W that are used as portable panels as 6kg is way easier to manoeuvre than 32kg! ) but if performance > weight I'd stick with rigid (we have 1200W of rigid on the roof of our camper)

I'm not familiar with either of those panels but they both look like chinese made cheapies, so i'd go with the Renogy with its 5 year vs 2 year warranty. I had to replace one of our flexibles under warranty within the first 6 months.

ventura911

Adventurer
I'm currently using a rigid panel, and if I move to an Ursa Minor J30 top, I'd like to look at a lower-profile panel. What I'm thinking of doing is using thin strips of aluminum to create a lightweight frame and attaching it to the rack rails on the top, thereby leaving a gap for better ventilation. Something like this:
image.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
My Grape Solar is mounted tight to my Aluminum top with 3M tape. I treat it like the top, meaning I dont worry about.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 78

4RunAmok

Explorer
Wow, Kevin! Ursa Minor!
icon14.png

That's awesome!

ventura911

Adventurer
Not a done deal yet (hence the "if" in my last post), but looking more and more possible. I'd like to order by the end of the summer, if all goes right.
:26_7_2:

unseenone

Explorer
I did notice a good improvement in performance when I mounted with plenty of air space underneath it. If it is possible, it would be nice to have an air space.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I did notice a good improvement in performance when I mounted with plenty of air space underneath it. If it is possible, it would be nice to have an air space.

Even with air space panel output drops when ambient temps go over 100°. I find this to be true with my home solar and vehicle alike.

unseenone

Explorer
Absolutely, but mounting them without an air gap will also make the performance drop faster. It still works though, so either way that works for your application.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My Grape Solar is mounted tight to my Aluminum top with 3M tape. I treat it like the top, meaning I dont worry about.

That's awesome! I'm planning on doing the exact same thing on an Ursa Minor J30 in a couple of months.
Can you please share some more details

1. How much 3M tape did you use? i.e. is it just around the edges? How's it holding up long term?
2. Where is the wiring? Is there a hole in the roof under the panel the wires go through? I love the tiny junction box for the Grape Solar, do you have more of it underneath?

Thanks!
-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles