Removing rear seats to increase payload capacity?

dole

If I were to buy a 2nd gen access cab, 4x4 Tundra with a payload capacity of 1,480 lbs do you think I could get away with having it loaded down full time with around 2,000 lbs of camper + supplies by doing things like removing all the rear seats, tailgate (would have a slide in camper so no need for tailgate anyway), and upgrading the rear suspension?

I'm going to be moving into a slide in truck camper full time soon and really want a Toyota because of reliability, but the Tundra's payload capacity is just so bad. Brainstorming desperately before I cave and get an F250.

alanymarce

I don't know what the regulations are where the vehicle would be registered, however...

Unless you have lead seats I don't think you'll be able to remove 520 lb to stay within GVM. Now, beefing up the suspension may well give you the support you need of you go over GVM however I'd guess that it won't be legal.

Porkchopexpress

My impression of Toyota reliability is that they basically derate their engines and payload so that their vehicles have a higher factor of safety built in. If you overload a Toyota, I think it would be less reliable than another brand used within it's limits.

phsycle

Adventurer
People have done it and some report no issues, going on 10 year excursions, rock crawling through the rubicon, and daily driving it. I also have a friend who refuses to wear a seat belt and reports no issues to date. People will do what they’re comfortable with.

Personally, a 2k camper is 1-ton territory.

dole

no.

removing 60# will not increase your payload 520#
Why come on here to be rude? Obviously it would still be over payload, which most people carrying camper are. It would just be less over capacity, and some people on here may have experience with a Tundra in knowing how it does when overloaded a bit.

dole

People have done it and some report no issues, going on 10 year excursions, rock crawling through the rubicon, and daily driving it. I also have a friend who refuses to wear a seat belt and reports no issues to date. People will do what they’re comfortable with.

Personally, a 2k camper is 1-ton territory.
The camper itself would likely be around 1,200 lbs max. But after gear sufficient for full time living, food, water and a human I'm generously rounding to 2k lbs all in.

phsycle

Adventurer
The camper itself would likely be around 1,200 lbs max. But after gear sufficient for full time living, food, water and a human I'm generously rounding to 2k lbs all in.

Like I said, if you’re comfortable with it, then that’s up to you. You’re talking going 30% over capacity. If it were 5-10%, then ok. But that would have me thinking twice before spending the money. 3/4 or 1 ton would do it easier and safer.

If you do end up in the tundra, get the suspension up to the task as well as the brakes. Expect things to wear our sooner than expected.

Reactions: bkg

Porkchopexpress

The engineers who know better than us set a max GVWR. Obviously it's up to you if you want to risk exceeding it.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
There is very little likelihood that running a few percent over GVM is going to matter. GVWR has more to do with tax, CAFE, and arcane laws - stay under GAWR and tire limts and you'll be just fine.

It all depends on the vehicle and CoG of the vehicle + load. An F250/F350 or commercial grade 1 ton van is going to handle excess weight far better than a light duty pickup/ride like a Tundra, Tacoma, or any 1500/half ton series trucks. Light duty pickups are designed more for ride comfort and carrying a bit if payload ...

Regardless of the legality of the weight carrying ability, it will be a very uncomfortable ride. Lots of white knuckling b/c of brakes,. Slow hill climbs, lots of bottoming out, early failure of bushings, etc. Plus, the wet/fully kitted weights are even higher than your estimates.

Getting a legal GVM upgrade that large (even if it were possible in the US), would result in an unpleasant driving and touring experience.

Folks in many other countries don't have the long grades or speeds possible in the US and Canada.

Your first post has the tone of a person that knows the right answer, but is wishing for another outcome. We've all been there.

Rethink the load or rethink the truck - you'll be much happier in the end. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 2013 Land Cruiser and since I have no intention of carrying passengers I removed the third and second row seats. I'm sure that weight savings helps with the weight gains with the 40 gallon long Range tank etc.

bkg

Explorer
Why come on here to be rude? Obviously it would still be over payload, which most people carrying camper are. It would just be less over capacity, and some people on here may have experience with a Tundra in knowing how it does when overloaded a bit.

over capacity is binary.

You asked if removing the seats would help. The answer is binary. No. If you find that rude, that's on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke