Removing plastic bed rail caps (2016 Tacoma)- Urgent

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
hi all. i need to figure out how to remove the plastic bed rail caps on my new Tacoma. my truck came with the tonneau cover, which i am selling tomorrow (will replace with a new canopy). part of the sale will include swapping out my top rails for the purchasers top rails- mine have the cutouts for the tonneau hardware and his doesn't. but i cannot find any info on the interwebs explaining how to remove these things, much less any photos.

has anyone done this before? is it different than removing the rails from the 2005-2015 Tacoma's? if not, how'd you do that? anyone have photos they can share?

thanks!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Well on my 06 and 09, you just ease them up gently and they pry free. They are just fitted with strong fasteners. I can't remember if there was a screw anywhere holding them in though...I don't believe so. Hopefully someone with a newer truck will chime in.

-jorge

06 Access Cab Tacoma 4 cylinder 5spd 4x4 with 235's

hitek79

Explorer
On most bed caps you just need to pop up one end, and then I gently rock them back and forth. The clip will have a catch on each side, so by gently rocking it, you will loosen one side, then the other.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
thanks ya'll. on the older models, the internet was saying there were some screws just under the rail, but it doesn't look like i have those. i have started to pull up on the rails, but am afraid i'll break something.

did you use your hands or a tool to pry them up?

Well on my 06 and 09, you just ease them up gently and they pry free. They are just fitted with strong fasteners. I can't remember if there was a screw anywhere holding them in though...I don't believe so. Hopefully someone with a newer truck will chime in.

-jorge

06 Access Cab Tacoma 4 cylinder 5spd 4x4 with 235's

On most bed caps you just need to pop up one end, and then I gently rock them back and forth. The clip will have a catch on each side, so by gently rocking it, you will loosen one side, then the other.

forty2

Adventurer
I have a '16 and sold my tonneau earlier in the year. You can pry the bed caps up gently with a panel tool or even a taped up screwdriver in a pinch. Once you have the end up just pull the rest of it up slowly just with your hands. There are no screws involved in the bed caps themselves, you will however need a large Torx (don't remember the size exactly) to remove the pins all down the either side that hold the tonneau down. It's all pretty simple really.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
well, managed to get the rails off pretty easily using a screwdriver. the person i sold the tonneau to started the prying on my truck using a screwdriver wrapped in a microfiber cloth, but nicked my paint unfortunately. the nick is under the bedrail thankfully and only went through the paint, not the primer, and is only about 3/8" long max. my plan is to use some touch up paint and then cover with some scrap clear vinyl if i can find a shop that has some small scrap to let go of. kinda frustrated about this, but it wasn't intentional and he paid me extra money for the tonneau, i think in part out of guilt for the damage he did.

should i just use Toyota touch up paint from the dealer or is there a better route?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
why not the vinyl? i want to add some protection and since it wouldn't be visible, i figured, why not?

*edit*... never mind on the vinyl, the scratch location really won't allow for it i don' think.

I'd skip the vinyl and just use whatever paint matches.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier