Removing One Roof Rib? (Sprinter Van)

Bravo30

I want to install either a 27” or 24” marine deck hatch on the roof of my 2013 Sprinter Van. To do this I would need to remove one roof rib, either 3rd or 4th from the back.
I’ve read through a few threads posted here about removing roof ribs and the potential issues. From what I understand the main issues are pressure caused by wind passing over the roof at highway speeds along with the obvious structural issues by removing a supporting rib.
Will the roof rack I have installed help with these 2 issues? The rack should help to defuse the wind enough to not cause problems and the rack being bolted down to both sides of the van should help to strengthen things up a bit.

Another option is to remove a rib and then weld a box to lock everything together then drop the hatch into the box like pictured below. ( I got this picture off of Reddit. Another guy had the same idea but no real solutions came from the thread)

Thanks for your help!

84E48DC7-F2B6-45EB-83B8-684B57ED11E4.jpeg07D242B2-6338-469F-9A8E-7802976C99B8.jpeg510F39B6-3DA9-47DA-B93A-CB05E9ECDB4D.jpeg

86scotty

Cynic
Every fiberglass top conversion van out there, meaning before the tall Euro vans, has had the entire roof cut out. That means all ribs. Lots and lots of them are done that way 'professionally' and sold by legitimate companies (Sportsmobile/CCV/Fiberine/etc.). You'll be fine. Support is as best you can. One rib won't bother a thing though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles