Removing Gen 3 Montero / Pajero spare tyre cover

uncompromise

Adventurer
The spare wheel key is no longer working, which represents a pretty significant issue. I’ve searched everywhere to see if there is an answer to removing it without a key that doesn’t involve destroying it. Given the need to have access it’s going to get hit with a power drill tomorrow if I can’t find any other way to remove it. Not sure we want to keep it anyway, but would prefer to have the option so we can replace it as and when we decide to sell.

Anybody had this issue and resolved it?

Is this a standard nut or the security nut? For a security nut, folks have used a sacrificial socket. Hammer it on. Then spin it off with a wrench.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback; it’s actually just the chrome cosmetic cover that sits over the wheel. I’m living in France where the cost of replacing something like that is pretty significant if we thought it would help with the resale value.

Interestingly, most people who own this particular vehicle don’t seem to use it for overlanding, which is why we’re being careful with our mods so that we can always reverse back out of them and restore the mall crawler identity this one came with :)

Wheel cover looks like this >
0635195b217d795a83f82f6056e42abb.jpg

plh

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback; it’s actually just the chrome cosmetic cover that sits over the wheel. I’m living in France where the cost of replacing something like that is pretty significant if we thought it would help with the resale value.

Interestingly, most people who own this particular vehicle don’t seem to use it for overlanding, which is why we’re being careful with our mods so that we can always reverse back out of them and restore the mall crawler identity this one came with :)

Wheel cover looks like this >
0635195b217d795a83f82f6056e42abb.jpg

This is a very different design than what we received in the USA and our covers do not lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste