Removing carpets

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Well after a small heater core leak that went undetected for awhile I've decided to remove all the carpet and padding in my Burb. The padding was soaked and puddles of 50/50 mixture of antifreeze/distilled water "nasty". I've since converted to EVANS waterless coolant and run zero (0) pressure in cooling system. After a complete interior cleanup thinking I'll apply Hurculiner "grey" mixed w/ceramic micro balloons as heat barrier then apply closed cell foam and top it off with government style rubber floor covering w/heavy mats.

Any thoughts or other ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I'd be interested in following your progress on the mat and rubber floor install. Need to do similar to my Dodge! :)

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Herculiner instead of Dynamat

I was confused about which liner and the actual process. The liner is Herculiner then closed cell foam followed by government type rubber floor covering. Thinking of heavy rubber floor mats in front area. However, I want to have working drain plugs for when water finds it's way into interior when water crossing/fording so perhaps just Herculiner w/floor mats is all I really need.

The micro balloons will be in an exterior coating and used to coat under body/carriage.

Yep, I suffer from some timers toooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I did a Herculiner throughout the entire floor of my Cherokee after I got the carpet all soggy in a creek crossing incident, no beads or foam or mats or anything though. It went on nice and easy, the most important part is the prep work. I spent a couple hours just doing the prep then when I applied the first coat of the liner I was done in less than 15 minutes, so preparation is crucial. Without mats or insulation or anything I got a lot more noise from rocks and pebbles jumping up at the undercarriage as well as some road noise, but not enough to really make it a pita. The part I didn't like was that my right foot got real hot next to the transmission tunnel.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Squatchout, Great job there you did! I like your route but I have to figure what padding/insulation to use if any. The crap under the carpet that was used in my Burb was chopped fabric that works like a giant sponge. I wonder how that floor covering you used would hold up over Herculiner.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Monstaliner has a good product as well. IMO better than Herc. And they sell a POR15 type treatment that you can use on the rusty spots before you start.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Look into some ram mat audio sound deadener. I used in an old nova I had and it made an HUGE difference in heat and road noise. It's very similar to dynamat just knowhere near the price. I'll be doing it in my 07 ram then covering it with herculiner or similar. The rammat has an ally backing that the liner will stick to and protect. Also the rammat is not cheap roofing stuff, it's closed cell foam thats SUPER sticky on the foam side.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Look into some ram mat audio sound deadener. I used in an old nova I had and it made an HUGE difference in heat and road noise. It's very similar to dynamat just knowhere near the price. I'll be doing it in my 07 ram then covering it with herculiner or similar. The rammat has an ally backing that the liner will stick to and protect. Also the rammat is not cheap roofing stuff, it's closed cell foam thats SUPER sticky on the foam side.

Thanks for this heads up sounds like a plan.

riverrat88

Observer
I have herculiner but I wish I would used lizardskin, they have sound and heat reduction but its not cheap.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk 2

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Removed the carpets

I started my project then found the Herculiner had kicked in the can so to say. I'll only be using 3 seats from hereon and will build storage/pull out/power backup/etc unit in area of removed seat. Pictures to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior