Removable Winch

KD702

I am looking for the Cons of having a removable winch on my 2017 JKU.

Pros:
-I figure is being able to switch it to the rear of the vehicle.
-Living in MN it would keep it out of all the salt spray in the winter

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Cons:

Go to harbor freight. Pull a 9500lb winch and a winch carrier off the shelf. Pile them up and carry them to the front counter.

If you haven't figured out why it's a bad idea yet go ahead and pay for it...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have a removable receiver on the front of my JKU and a similar removable one for the front of my LJ. The winch mounts in that receiver and can also be mounted in the rear receiver.

JKrcvrFinal2_zpslcuadmqv.jpg

JKWinchDone1_zpstj6d0mvs.jpg

There's a horizontal receiver for mounting the winch for use, and a vertical one for mounting it for storage so it doesn't hang out in harm's way in parking lots, etc.

WinchCoverFinal_zpsvbhbgxsm.jpg

Works with the factory bumper.

The receiver installs/removed very quickly so I only have it in place when I'm carrying the winch.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I did my receiver mount I made sure it fit properly in the rear receiver of all 3 of my Jeeps, here it is on on the LJ. An extension for the wiring to reach to the back was part of the design.

WinchMountedBack_zpshoyt2zvo.jpg

The wiring design includes a lead that mounts to the winch and leads that stay under the hood and attach to the battery of each Jeep - to use the winch on the front of the Jeep the winch lead plugs into the battery lead.

To use the winch on the back of one of the Jeeps, the extension plugs between the winch lead and the battery lead.

And as long as I was putting permanent connections to the battery in each Jeep I made up jumper cable ends so I can easily jump any of the Jeeps or anyone else's Jeep using the jumper ends. The jumper ends can connect to the battery lead in any of the Jeeps and being 6' long may reach to the vehicle being jumped, but if not the extension can be used. To jump any of my Jeeps, the battery leads from one Jeep can be connected to the other without the jumper ends. And the jumper ends plus the extension makes a 20' jumper cable with jumper clamps on both ends.

WinchWiringX_zpswfcsqldi.jpg

KD702

Yeah I do a lot of hunting and I normally don't have another vehicle around to winch me backwards if I do get into trouble. I like the idea of being able to go backwards to where I came from. thanks for the images Jscherb

gfe jeep

My first bumper was for a removable winch and did have it wired for the rear when needed.
When I changed bumpers it was mounted permanently. I did use it a couple of times in the rear as it happens sometimes wheeling alone.

I still have my winch, it is a Superwinch and is 11 years old. It spent most of its time in a storage shed instead of being in the elements. The bumper and winch mount are for sale, but I live in LA - lower alabama.

VanWaLife

I've been thinking about a chainsaw winch for a while. Not great for quick off road recovery, lower capacity than most electric winches. But they don't rely on the vehicles electrical system, which I could see being a benefit, and useful for getting an elk out of a canyon when you can't get you're vehicle in.

billiebob

or .... a Tirfor .... we use these often repairing bridges. One of the lightest "winches" ever. Unlimited capacity. You have 500' of cable, it'll pull it all. No need to regrip every 4' like a farmer jack nor every 85'? like with an electric winch. Once setup it'll pull til the object is tight to it. Incredibly fast to set up. Incredibly lightweight too. Winches in and winches out on the other lever.

As I recall, very expensive too.

tu16.jpg

Last edited:

Freebee_JKU

I have a removable receiver on the front of my JKU and a similar removable one for the front of my LJ. The winch mounts in that receiver and can also be mounted in the rear receiver.

JKrcvrFinal2_zpslcuadmqv.jpg

JKWinchDone1_zpstj6d0mvs.jpg

There's a horizontal receiver for mounting the winch for use, and a vertical one for mounting it for storage so it doesn't hang out in harm's way in parking lots, etc.

WinchCoverFinal_zpsvbhbgxsm.jpg

Works with the factory bumper.

The receiver installs/removed very quickly so I only have it in place when I'm carrying the winch.

Do yo have a link to that setup or did you make it ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles