Relocate Defender to America

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Import with visa. Find another trashed one. Swap identification. After one year, export trashed one. Flip off customs and LRNA.

MarkIIa

Observer
...or get yourself an 88/89 Perentie, cheap enough and old enough to take with you and sell it upon your return for considerable margin. You'll also have an example of the best damn Land Rover ever built, so you'll probably want to keep it forever...

AussieAub

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
The move to the US would be seen as a long term/permanent one.
Don't really feel like all the hassle of buying an old one, swapping everything over, and all that jazz is REALLY worth it.
It'll be a shame to see her go as she's kitted up exactly how I wanted her, but if this job comes off, think I'll have to resign myself to selling before we move over. Bugger!

Cheers again.

greynolds

Observer
What's a new Defender cost in Australia? IIRC, cars are crazy expensive there compared to here, so the sticker shock of a 93 NAS Defender 110 in good working order might not be as bad to you as everyone is suggesting. Another option is to pick up a MB G-Wagon after you get here as they might be a bit less scarce on the used market than Defenders and are still available new (for about the price of a fully refurbed 93 NAS Defender 110 done by a place like East Coast Rovers).

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have imported a number of trucks from Australia and New Zealand. Happy to answer any questions you might have or handle it for you. The tdci truck cannot come here on a perm entry as said above. The newest "legal" defender in the states is the 1997 model 90 with v8 and auto. Anything newer is required to abs and airbags. I know of no perentie's stateside although there has been quite a bit of talk about them. Most choose to import a 25yr old platform and then modify it to a later spec once here.

newhue

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
The move to the US would be seen as a long term/permanent one.
Don't really feel like all the hassle of buying an old one, swapping everything over, and all that jazz is REALLY worth it.
It'll be a shame to see her go as she's kitted up exactly how I wanted her, but if this job comes off, think I'll have to resign myself to selling before we move over. Bugger!

Cheers again.

nah, new job, new life, new experiences....move on up to a Disco 4 for a while.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
They are right you will have to leave your 2013 there ... HOWEVER! Buy TWO, No! make that THREE Perenties on auction. Make sure one is a 6x6. Bring them over and freaking sell two for the highest price you can. If you are going to leave your baby in Perth, make the storage costs pay for themselves. Also make your company pay for shipping of two of family vehicles by RORO. Mischief managed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94