Relocate Defender to America

AussieAub

G'day guys and gals.
Newbie here to the Expedition Portal forums, currently Chairman of TeamW4 Land Rover Club here in Perth, Western Australia.

Not sure if this is the right place, but wondering how much difficulty is involved in moving my new beloved LR Defender from Perth AUS to Houston USA.
There is a STRONG possibility of a long term job offer in the new year, which would involve a relocation of my family and I to Houston, and as it's taken me so long to get my Defender dream car, I'd dearly love to take it with me!

Has anyone gone through this process, and if so, what is entailed?
I know there are differences between Australia and USA specs (not least the driving side, but that doesn't bother me too much!), but just how much might need doing to the vehicle to make it USA approved?

I've checked out the US import/customs departments web pages, but it's primarily paperwork and theoretical info, not very specific on actual physical necessities that may need applying to the Defender - fore warned is fore armed so to speak!

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers....

Cheers.
KIEREN

IMG_0032 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
You can bring it in for a year on your visa, but then it must leave. Not sure of the hassle or likelihood of it being renewed for another year .

-Jeff

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Unless you're going to be here less than a year, just take a deep breath and move on. It ain't gonna happen.

AussieAub

Pretty much what my own research is telling me. Bugger!
Thanks for the info though guys, appreciate your time in responding.

Can I take it Defenders are pretty hard to come by over there then?
Being devoted to the Land Rover marque, are there many second hand vehicles available, and what kind of costs for a "good one"?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
An option, if you would like it, is to by a Defender with a build date >25 years from the date of import, then put as many of your goodies off your present Defender on to that. Defenders in the US are like hen's teeth and are unfortunately priced accordingly (I have been casually looking, and my most reasonable course of action seems to be coordinating with my cousin in England to purchase and import an old one from overseas).

*Disclaimer* I have not ever looked into importing a "newer" defender, and am not a Landrover afficianado (yet!).

LR Max

Local Oaf
A 2012? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Sorry.

However find an ORIGINAL 25+ year old defender, refurb it down under, then you can import it. Go ahead an install stuff like new doors, new transmission, axles, roll cage, roof rack, whatever. It'll probably be cheaper down there as well. Then import it. But keep the original engine, serial number, and chassis.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
What the others said, but if you're here long term, better to purchase a 25 year old left hand drive Defender than bring one from Aussie. No matter what people say about how RHD is fine, it has significant drawbacks. The main one is road safety since passing, merging onto the freeway, etc are much more dangerous from that position. Mail trucks do it , but they are local limited use. Also, anywhere you need to go through a drive through service such as parking ticket booths, toll booths, etc. is a royal pain or completely undoable.

dcproven

Adventurer
There are plenty of cheap old Land Rovers here just no Series/Defenders, they are expensive and hard to find.
If you plan to bring anything here, import it *original* or as close as possible to original, then here, do the changes in the US after registration.
A heavily modified vehicle may have problems getting in the country...

Good luck

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
An option, if you would like it, is to by a Defender with a build date >25 years from the date of import, then put as many of your goodies off your present Defender on to that. Defenders in the US are like hen's teeth and are unfortunately priced accordingly (I have been casually looking, and my most reasonable course of action seems to be coordinating with my cousin in England to purchase and import an old one from overseas).

*Disclaimer* I have not ever looked into importing a "newer" defender, and am not a Landrover afficianado (yet!).

I'm no expert, but I do not think that this is good advice. Customs does not appreciate this tactic.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm no expert, but I do not think that this is good advice. Customs does not appreciate this tactic.

Thank you JH. Let me make the clarification that any change to the dirvetrain or chassis will definitely be frown upon.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Even changing the drivetrain here could be technically illegal, depending on what you are putting in, i.e. 300 ti. But. . . people do it all the time anyway, so in reality probably not a problem.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
G'day guys and gals.
Newbie here to the Expedition Portal forums, currently Chairman of TeamW4 Land Rover Club here in Perth, Western Australia.

Not sure if this is the right place, but wondering how much difficulty is involved in moving my new beloved LR Defender from Perth AUS to Houston USA.
There is a STRONG possibility of a long term job offer in the new year, which would involve a relocation of my family and I to Houston, and as it's taken me so long to get my Defender dream car, I'd dearly love to take it with me!

Has anyone gone through this process, and if so, what is entailed?
I know there are differences between Australia and USA specs (not least the driving side, but that doesn't bother me too much!), but just how much might need doing to the vehicle to make it USA approved?

I've checked out the US import/customs departments web pages, but it's primarily paperwork and theoretical info, not very specific on actual physical necessities that may need applying to the Defender - fore warned is fore armed so to speak!

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers....

Cheers.
KIEREN

View attachment 258681

Check, as a foreign national, not attempting to become a citizen it should not be an issue. You must however retain your foreign registration and plates and insurance.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz