Reliability

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yep. I still have my 109. It is attached to my soul so I'm super stuck.

However you won't see me driving it out west again this year. It'll be in the LR3. Actually the 109 has been broken for a year and a half. In the interim, the LR3 has gotten 15k on the clock. With many of those miles being off road or general road trips (isn't a DD).

Who am I kidding. I love that 109 until it catastrophically breaks again. But I can only have one rolling disaster in my life. No more than that.

Correus

Adventurer
Yep. I still have my 109. It is attached to my soul so I'm super stuck.

However you won't see me driving it out west again this year. It'll be in the LR3. Actually the 109 has been broken for a year and a half. In the interim, the LR3 has gotten 15k on the clock. With many of those miles being off road or general road trips (isn't a DD).

Who am I kidding. I love that 109 until it catastrophically breaks again. But I can only have one rolling disaster in my life. No more than that.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I hear ya! I've put too much blood sweat and tears into mine - was even awarded a "Bloody Knuckles Pub" badge but the members of the original club! I've already told my family I'm to be buried in my Rover.

LR Max

Local Oaf
When I was dating, I would take the possible candidates out in the 109, if they hated it or mentioned "trade in for a new one", they were gone.

Current one tolerates it. Close enough.

Correus

Adventurer
When I was dating, I would take the possible candidates out in the 109, if they hated it or mentioned "trade in for a new one", they were gone.

Current one tolerates it. Close enough.

I'm fortunate, the wife likes mine. It has bothered her back at times, so I've switched to parabolics and deluxe seats.

eloist

Adventurer
I've got a 2008 LR3 and a 2004 GX470.
Both are very comfortable, and I'd imagine either would be great for a bad back. They are as reliable as 10+ year old SUVs can and should be.
That is to say, buy some wrenches...

It ain't that bad, usually.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
We picked-up a 1995 RRC LWB a few years ago. It's our long-haul/trip vehicle and absolutley perfect for four people! I do carry a generous on-board spares kit and tools, which slightly reduces cargo space, but I can honestly say after the rocky road learning and baselining this vehicle, I know it pretty darn well. An occasional pit stop or coffee break to check something out is no big deal (vs. a 1000 mile tow home).

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
To the OP, I think I can share your perspective- C2 thru T2 fused, several joint replacements and trying to avoid/delay a rod in my low back. Years ago, '06ish, we drove a Defender 130 about 2k miles out west to deliver it to a dealer whom had purchased it. As part of the trade, I got a new LR3, which we in turn drove back home to NC. This was before all the body hardware mentioned above except a total knee. Point being, the ride out was almost crippling- and I have ridden near half million miles on 2 wheels, and countless cross-country trips in Defenders. The ride back was effortless- literally riding on air, not to mention the modern ergonomics/comfort afforded. And prior to the trip home we did a few trails we had done a couple years earlier in a built 90- with much laughter- as it was so 'easy' with this new stock vehicle.
Fast forward to today, and all the hardware in my body, and the bigger issue becomes the ability to crawl under and around the rig, not to mention reaching and being able to cock your head just right to visualize something needing attention, etc, etc. The sad reality, whilst I keep my built 110, it gets used less and less. However, trips continue albeit with a different perspective- and different rigs! Newer, less built, modern vehicles now provide a platform from which to explore. At some point, one has to re-evaluate the limitations that exist (which is most difficult, as I would not be so worn out had I deferred to some limits early on) with ones situation/abilities/oppurtunities, and meld them into a combination of what is attainable/doable. For me, it has taken considerable, well tremendous actually, restraint, time and re-evaluation to travel/explore via different means and level of expectations...
All the best with your surgery! I get a new hip in 2 days, one that I shattered 45 years ago, and am hoping it helps delay the low back rod a bit longer!
Cheers!!

BikePilot

I have an LR4 and it's very comfortable. I'd think it'd be exceptional for your back issues. Reliability is probably on par with similar euro vehicles and I'm sure worse than a Toyota land cruiser of similar vintage.

Blaise

LR3s are now "old rovers". You can pick up a LR3 or LR4 for well under the Toyota mark up.

After owning a LR3, I wouldn't waste my time with any rover before 2005. Yes they are iconic but the pain and misery isn't worth it.

Agreed on both points. My buddy just listed his 2001 Tacoma with TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES locally for $8500 and had folks beating down his door.

I paid significantly less for my '06 LR3 HD with half the miles. Aside from LCA bushings I've only done preventative maintenance and the comfort level is so high that we drive it on most on-road trips despite it using twice as much fuel as the lady's subaru.

I really can't recommend the LR3/4 enough. It's far more capable than almost anyone needs and way more comfortable on the road where we spend 90% of our time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles