Reliability of older Isuzu Troopers

Dan Zulu

Does anyone have experience with an older, 90’s, Trooper with more than 100,000 miles on it? I am looking at a few Monteros for winter trips into the Cascades and now spotted a 90’s Trooper for sale. I like the boxy body styles and would pay cash for whichever vehicle I end up buying. I know that some maintenance will be inevitable but don’t want to volunteer to rehabilitate a vehicle with known issues fleetwide. Concerning the Monteros, I have driven a lot of Pajeros overseas and found them very reliable.

Clutch

<---Pass
We have an '02...great vehicle, except the auto trans. Ours has 120K on it, and the only thing I have done was a starter so far, but the trans will need work in the future. We only put 3000 miles on it last year, so it works well enough not throw any money at it right now. Might swap in a manual trans when it gives up the ghost. Most likely I'll just buy a parts vehicle as they are dirt cheap.

Feels bigger to me than the same era 4Runner.

Acura also rebadged them as a "SLX" before they got into the SUV market. So look for those too.

1998_acura_slx_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

SRN

Adventurer
Get a 92-95 Trooper with the 5-speed. Thats generally considered the "sweet spot" for Troopers. The weakest element of the 2nd Gen Trooper was the 4L30E, but the MAU5 manual is bulletproof. The 3.2L is a great motor, many people a scared because they develop a tick on the SOHC ones, but 99% of the time this is just tarnish building up on the top of the hydraulic lifters, running some oil with detergent in it (like Rotella T6) clears that up right away.
Aside from my engine starting to have issues around 240k miles, everything else had been rock solid on it. Everything is overbuilt, most components are made by AISIN, they are just fantastic trucks thats why I chose to rebuild mine rather than buy something else.
Dig around on Planet Isuzoo and you find tons of information about what great, underrated vehicles these are.

onemanarmy

Explorer
If you do decide on a first gen, get the 2.8 V6 (super slow, but super easy to work on and upgrade, and parts are plentiful) with the 5 speed. Slow, but bulletproof trucks with tons of interior space.

eblau

Adventurer
I had a 92 with a five speed manual and absolutely loved it. The 3.2 had a very faint tick but it was a fantastic engine. Aside from an alternator and changing the oil I never did anything to it. Was really roomy inside being a big box and all and the rear split door was great for loading and unloading. I would have another one in a heartbeat and thats coming from a Toyota guy.

GingerBeardMan78

I I watched this video a while ago and found it very informative and interesting. It's just one guy's opinion but he seems to really know what he's talking about.

Troopers are the most under rated SUV. Just stay away from that 4L30E as already mentioned. I love my '99 stick.

justbecause

perpetually lost
if i had a time machine, I would go back and not buy my 97 trooper. I would either get a johnny 5 v8 swap 1st gen, or a montero. The older I get and the bigger the family gets the more appealing that 3rd row becomes, but at that point, for a v6 that cant tow much of crap and gets nothing for MPG I might as well get a suburban or expedition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles