Relay Question #2

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Previously I posted about putting rock/camp lights on my Adventure Trailers Chaser #15. I was trying to have a dual switch setup. Well I installed the lights using double sided adhesive as a temperary mount to adjust the lights under the trailer. All was working great I could turn the lights on via the Jeep or from the trailer switch. Then after bolting on the lights I went to turn them on and now I am blowing the fuse to the relay. I have the lights grounded to the chase. The relay is grounded to the battery. The battery is grounded to the chase. What gives. If I unbolt the lights from there mount and install a new fuse with the lights just hanging in mid air the lights work fine. I did not remove the adhesive tape from the bracket when I installed the bolt. At this point I am just confused. Any ideas.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Is your positive lead shorted to the light casing?

When you bolt it down are you pinching the positive lead?

Gear

Wires apear to be loose at the back of the light. So no pinch

Mlachica

Well you can trace out the entire positive wire once it leaves the fuse and see if there's any place the insulation is cut open or pinched.

You can leave your light on, and hanging. bolt it down, if it goes out then you're close. If it goes out as soon as the light case touches the trailer then your problem is internal to the light/case. If it goes out sometime while you're bolting it down then the wire is being shorted somewhere realitively close to the light. You can also leave the light hanging and on then wiggle the wires around and see if it shorts out.

Essentially anything (+) after the fuse that goes directly to ground (whether negative or chassis) will cause the fuse to blow.

Gear

Mark, Thanks it is fixed.
Looks like in a rush to get things done well after my bed time I ended up crossing a red for white or was that black. Well anyway thanks for taking the time to make me look for something that I just was not seeing.

Mlachica

No problem Justin, glad you got it fixed! I got your PM as well but I was at work and couldn't call.

Just on a side note. When dealing with electricity, instead of leaving the light on and waiting for the fuse to blow or a cb to trip it's safer to leave it all de-energized and ohm the positive leg to ground and isolate the problem that way. :) Eliminates the chance for injury, damage or both. Although 12 volts won't kill you ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94