Relative Size of Africa

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Awesome Graphic! Illustrates the size of Africa relative to other countries.

attachment.php

Attachments

• africa.jpg
    africa.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 262

zeroland

Adventurer
That's a great map. Makes you realize how big the continent is and all the space available for overlanding...

DaveM

Explorer
they forgot alaska....

If you want to be picky, they forgot Alaska AND Hawaii (the freak states).

"Immappancy" is a terrible name for what is essentially a lack of good geography education in our schools, but the point is valid and its a good graphic. Considering that map projections are often to blame for major misrepresentations in land size and shape it would have been nice if the author had included projection information on the image.

jcbrandon

Explorer
... what is essentially a lack of good geography education in our schools...

Here's a suggestion: Buy a globe and keep it in a room of your house where you, your kids, and your guests spend a lot of time. When the conversation turns to something other than the US, or a newscast mentions another country, just pull the globe off the shelf and spin to that country.

I've enjoyed some fantastic conversations in my house that started with this little exercise.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The Cartographers for Social Equality are Pleased...
cartographers_for_social_equality.JPG

However C.J. Cregg is freaked out. :victory:

DaveM

Explorer
Here's a suggestion: Buy a globe and keep it in a room of your house where you, your kids, and your guests spend a lot of time. When the conversation turns to something other than the US, or a newscast mentions another country, just pull the globe off the shelf and spin to that country.

I've enjoyed some fantastic conversations in my house that started with this little exercise.

How about this little globe:

P_37013470_2310353.JPG

A bit spendy at $450! But a neat idea.

http://www.michelevarian.com/IBS/SimpleCat/product/ASP/product-id/37013470.html

Bergger

Explorer
Interesting but if you compare continents Asia is even larger and North America is not too far behind Africa. Cool find. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz