REI Having 25% Off Sale on InReach, Should I Buy or Wait?

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Should I pick up an InReach from the REI sale or should I figure that Garmin is going to come out with a new version soon? I don't have a pressing need for one right now but would like to pick one up for travels.

Thanks,

Chad

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Ditto. please post the link you've got. Full price online is what I found

Its shown in the their anniversary flyer which I got in the mail - the dates for the sale are May 20th to the 30th so I think its just not happening yet...

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Thanks Haf-E. That's exactly what I was going to post. The flyer also came with two 20% off coupons for things not on sale.

Chad

Ah I see, I got it in the mail but can't find it right now. I do know that every REI coupon I've seen has exemption for "gps enabled devices" same goes for "action cameras". Damn fine print!

robgendreau

Explorer
I've asked before, but I'm ever hopeful: is there an emergency roadside service or dispatcher that can be contacted via text message? And would be willing to dispatch?

The Inreach can do an SOS to their contractor, but that's life or death stuff. Not a mechanical breakdown or various other non life or limb threatening emergencies. At least with ERS I know I could get vehicle towing and help, along with 911 stuff. Still not sure about just evacuation (which can be different than a medical emergency). Last time I checked it was still pretty much voice only. And most land agencies and 911 centers are voice only. So that kinda limits the utility of the Inreach IMHO.

Globalstar and I think some other sat phones are getting as low in price as $500, although the plans are still too pricey. So I'm still on the fence.

BigGeorge

I've asked before, but I'm ever hopeful: is there an emergency roadside service or dispatcher that can be contacted via text message? And would be willing to dispatch?

As long as you have a buddy willing to call AAA for you with your information you should be able to get roadside service. Usually they just ask for the car details and location and I could send that via text message to friends or family and they can arrange the tow. Over the price of the satellite device and monthly service I would just go for the inReach. I agree that the phone is about $200 more to buy and the subscription and device does not have the easy tracking features that the inReach has. While voice is useful, I figure I can get more utility out of a two way messenger / tracker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior