Registering a car in Germany as non-resident

victorc

Hello there,

My wife and I are planning to travel from my parents in France, to her parents in China (Whenever that will be possible). Even though I have French citizenship, I have been living in the US for most of my adult life and I am not very familiar with vehicle and registration laws in Europe.

We have been looking into our next truck and while there is plenty of good options in France, we also have been looking at our options in Germany. Driving a Land Cruiser series 70 is a dream of ours, and we really like what Tom`s Fahrzeugtechnik has to offer.

They told us we could register the truck under our name in Germany, even if we don't live there, no problems. But I have not found any good reliable information on the internet about thiat so I figured I would ask here if someone had a similar experience.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I have been looking into the same a couple years ago. My family in Germany talked to several insurance brokers and all said you can't insure a vehicle if you don't have an address in the country.

victorc

I have been looking into the same a couple years ago. My family in Germany talked to several insurance brokers and all said you can't insure a vehicle if you don't have an address in the country.

That makes sense. I think it would probably be the same thing in France.

The team at Tom`s Fahrzeugtechnik explained to me a little bit more in details how they proceed with their international clients. We would have to use their address for road tax and insurance. And they would be responsible for paying everything, including tickets. They have a system in place already.

Not ideal but that's always an option.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We purchased a vehicle in Germany in 2013 and registered and insured it in the name of a Dutch friend who lived in Germany.
The insurance company was fully informed. No problem. Simply had to carry a letter from the "owner" authorising us to use the vehicle [lus all the normal paperwork.
We owned it for 3 years and then sold it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
If you have a FR passport aswell, register it in France. 2 year CT, insurance etc. easy and no road tax.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Tom's team have been doing this for years now. I am sure it's a solid option if you buy from his company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier