Refurbished 1996 LMTV M1078 Expo Truck *SOLD*

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
*SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD* *SOLD*

It's been a really hard decision for us, but after much discussion we have decided to sell our LMTV. Our LMTV is awesome, but we're not sure we have the energy to complete the construction of a large hab for this LMTV. We went to Overland Expo last weekend and looked at a lot of other vehicles, and we have decided that purchasing a smaller vehicle might be best for us.

This truck is pretty much ready for a box to be dropped on it, so it would be great for someone who wants to get on the road relatively soon and doesn't want a project truck.

The truck is in very good shape. The refurbishment was just finished in early May. We have a few little things we plan to bolt back on this weekend (door grab handles, etc.), but there are no major outstanding items on the truck. That being said, when we got the truck, the splines in the forward drive shaft were a little worn, so we purchased a new forward drive shaft and have not installed it yet. It's not really critical, we just thought it would be a good thing to do. There are a few tiny things like the passenger side window crank knob that need fixed.

We did a lot of cleanup work to the cab interior, but it is basically the stock configuration. Toward the end of the project we decided to leave the interior unmodified in case the new owner wanted to put in a passthrough or had a specific style in mind. We do have a new floor insulation / carpet replacement and we originally thought we would insulate the floor when we put it in. The insulation mat and other spare parts will go with the truck when it sells.

The truck is currently located in Tehachapi California. The truck can easily be shipped anywhere in North America. The truck is currently titled and registered in California as a civilian commercial vehicle. Once a hab is put on the back, it can be re-registered as an RV.

We were originally planning on building a custom 14.5 foot long by 8 foot wide hab. We know of people who have put 16 foot long habs on an LMTV. The exposed frame length in the back is over 12.5 feet long. Including the partial height area behind the cab, the bed is over 14.5 feet to the back of the rails.

We have talked to a number of LMTV expedition truck owners, and they average 7-8 miles per gallon fully loaded. This is a multi-fuel vehicle, so it can run on any of the diesel or jet fuel derivatives. The gross weight of the LMTV is 26,000 pounds, so there is plenty of capacity for your loaded hab.

If you haven't checked out our blog already, take a look. The blog shows all the details of what we did during the refurbishment.

https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/

The truck is a 1996 LMTV M1078 with the original diesel Cat 3116 225hp engine and Allison automatic transmission.
--- 18,030 miles
--- Runs and drives well
--- New cab and frame paint
--- Powder coated rims
--- Rebuilt wheels with matching spare
--- New “0 mile” Michelin XZL tires (including matching spare)
--- Powder coated bumpers, fenders, and many other parts
--- Custom powder coated roof rack with integrated ladders
--- New under bed storage box
--- New modern style air dryer
--- New mud flaps
--- New marker lights and reflectors all around
--- New wheel Schrader valves / stems
--- New front and rear gladhands
--- New LED tail light
--- Replaced forward air tank
--- Aluminum forward fender stiffeners
--- Removed over 2,800 pounds of unneeded military hardware
--- Many new lights and accessories

Spare parts and tools included in sale:
--- Cab carpet / insulation
--- Spare Tire (as listed above)
--- Tire Iron / lug wrench
--- Torque Amplifier
--- Seat Belt Reel
--- Forward Drive Shaft
--- Spare throttle cable

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (1).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (2).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (3).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (4).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (5).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (6).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (7).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (8).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (9).jpg

Fuchsia Fox Expedition Refurbished LMTV (10).jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry to hear, and good luck with the sale.

I've watched your build from the beginning. Fabulous job.

No doubt the new owner is getting one heck of a truck with this purchase.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Do you have any interior cab photos?

We did a lot of cleanup work to the cab interior, but it is basically the stock configuration. Here are links that include photos from the time frame when we were working inside the cab:

https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/3232017/
https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/3252017/
https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/3262017/
https://fuchsiafoxexpedition.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/432017/

Since then, we've painted the inside of the doors, door panels, door jambs, etc. The dash panel itself is clear coated over the original green paint. It actually looks pretty good.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Update: the sale has fallen through and the truck is still available.

[Sold, pending funds.]

Last edited:

Wander&Explore

Please let me know if the sale falls through. Very interested and I can do a fly and drive from Portland, OR. Thanks and good luck with the health!

agazza2

Sorry to hear about your health. The both have you have done an excellent job on the restoration of this vehicle. The new owner will be very proud and lucky to drive this truck that you have put together and made the improvements done to the truck over the last year.

Hope that your health improves and we get to follow you along on the journey of the smaller vehicle build. I was at overland expo with my M-1078 this year. Wish i would have had the chance to meet you.

Allan

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Sorry to hear about your health. The both have you have done an excellent job on the restoration of this vehicle. The new owner will be very proud and lucky to drive this truck that you have put together and made the improvements done to the truck over the last year.

Hope that your health improves and we get to follow you along on the journey of the smaller vehicle build. I was at overland expo with my M-1078 this year. Wish i would have had the chance to meet you.

Allan

Thank you, Allan. We hope to see you out there some day and will definitely keep the forum posted as we move forward and figure out what comes next.

Moraurah

Do you have any Idea how to ship it to Canada and how much it would cost? It is illegal to take those trucks out of the US but there is quite a few of them up here already.

I have been following your build for the last 6 months and I am interested in buying it. But I need to be sure I can get it across the border.

Hope you get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94