Refrigerators

Mules

My vote is for the ICECO JP42. It's a fridge, or a freezer, or a cooler (just add ice). It's reasonably priced with long lasting components. Also fits perfect in the back seat of my Jeep Gladiator or JL, or in the bed. I measured the back seat before choosing a fridge.
IMG_6468 2.JPGIMG_6471 2.JPGIt It will make a nice addition to my camper build.

TwinStick

Explorer
We bought 2, in 2014. 82 qt and a 50 at. 1 or the other, sometimes both have been running since. When not camping, they get used as overflow fridge/freezer. We absolutely love them. When we bought ours, afaik the ARB's were the only ones that would operate at up to a 30° incline and have a Danfoss compressor. Shortly thereafter, it seemed like there were dozens more every year.

The price hurts, that's for sure. But not having to hunt for ice is priceless. The very first time we took the 50 qt ARB fridge camping, the power went out for 36 hrs. I plugged the fridge into the aux battery. When that started getting low, I recharged it with Honda eu2000i. Everything worked great.

We always take it when shopping far from home, to a distant market or farmers market. Once you get one, you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. It's life changing.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
My fridge finally arrived yesterday and I’ve been playing around with it. I was surprised how fast it cooled down initially and the app is a nice feature, especially the battery monitor. I had it plugged in overnight to a yellow top d34 battery and I lost .2 volts in ten hours. The seven mile drive to work charged the battery up a half a volt higher then it was. We’re excited to try it out heading to expo northwest this week!
CD1ECC8B-718E-4703-9626-93B516981906.jpeg86BE5E36-7FA3-486B-ACD6-66A52FA2C514.jpeg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
It's been fourteen months now with the ARB fridge. For a bit I would have told people to just get a cooler, and maybe they should for cost if they don't need it much. My wife likes it a lot though, not having to worry about buying ice and watching temps when we travel. It has been growing on me and I can honestly say I'm glad I took the plunge and bought one. I just spent three days in the desert with it and it's definitely a luxury to just not have to think about your food storage. I've added a 100 watt solar panel and charger to keep the battery topped off and there have been zero low voltage situations with my dual yellow tops and the fridge set at 32 degrees. I even stored some food for another guy who's fridge died. I'm 100% sold on it, and it's been really handy during the holidays or when hauling meat home.

Attachments

• IMG-1009-1.jpg
    IMG-1009-1.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 17

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
I just came back from a 2 week road trip with only a couple of regular coolers (not electric), and I can’t tell you how much water-logged food I threw away because it drowned in melted ice. Hunting for ice just blows. So does pouring out the melted ice water all the time.

And it wasn’t that hot where I was. 85°F.

It’s time to get a refrigerator!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I just came back from a 2 week road trip with only a couple of regular coolers (not electric), and I can’t tell you how much water-logged food I threw away because it drowned in melted ice. Hunting for ice just blows. So does pouring out the melted ice water all the time.

And it wasn’t that hot where I was. 85°F.

It’s time to get a refrigerator!
Ziplock freezer bags over regular food packaging helps some.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Spent 15 days boondocking. Fridge, chest freezer, and beer cooler all run on propane.

The 3 used $15 worth of propane. We never bought ice. And never broke camp to get salmon filets or even bread dough. We had it all with us.

I know nobody uses propane anymore, but there is so much cheap, working equipment our there it is an option.

Sun is not a guarantee on this side of the continent.

COAKXterra

We bought once cried once.

ARB zero 73L

It’s been fantastic. Food for three or more for several days. Beer cold. Ice for cocktails. I put in a 100w solar panel and 110ah battery, mainly for the fridge. Served us well all summer. Wife approved. Seriously one of the best investments we’ve made. No soggy food, no searching for ice, no dramas.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I guess I'll update since this thread has had some recent activity. I think I'm going to need to get another fridge. My wife has the ARB packed full of butter, yogurt and cheese downstairs and I have no idea how I'll rescue it from her! I initially brought it inside as an overflow and now it seems its more like a permanent thing. I hope she'll let me borrow it next summer.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles