Refrigerator life expectancy

Ocdfisher

I'm looking at getting a used dometic portable refrigerator/ freezer. It's a cf35? It is 6 years old, wondering how long it could keep going? Priced about 30% of a new one.
Thanks

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well mate depending on it's age there is no reason why they can't go for 10 or 15 years, The longest record goes to the Engels Only because they have been making them longer than most other companies, There are people here with the newer ARB's that have had them since 2009 and there are some folks who have had the Waeco/dometic's just as long, There is good and bad in every brand, Engel are great fridges but ARB and Waeco etc make better use of space and have more modern useful features and due to the design you can get longer items in them,

If that 35 is under warranty you should be good to go but saying that I see no reason why it shouldn't keep going Ay.

good luck with what ever you decide,

Cruisn

Adventurer
I have a cf80 fridge freezer combo, bout it used, 9 years ago. so it is at least 4-5 on top of that. no signs of slowing down and it gets run in 40-50c heat in oz. good unit. love it

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have a cf80 fridge freezer combo, bout it used, 9 years ago. so it is at least 4-5 on top of that. no signs of slowing down and it gets run in 40-50c heat in oz. good unit. love it
That's a fine example of what I was saying, Once you buy into a certain price range regardless of the brand you get a true quality Item,

Cruisn

Adventurer
That's a fine example of what I was saying, Once you buy into a certain price range regardless of the brand you get a true quality Item,

yupp and it still freezes fish at 40c to -15, it is in a bag I will add to help it. pay once. trust me... pay once, the fridge is my pay once deal, but air compressors i used to cheap out. cost me more in the long run.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
yupp and it still freezes fish at 40c to -15, it is in a bag I will add to help it. pay once. trust me... pay once, the fridge is my pay once deal, but air compressors i used to cheap out. cost me more in the long run.
Funny that I went the other way but ended up at the same conclusion, I went with the ARB 47L and I was really impressed So I bought their portable compressor but then I just had to have the big Twin Portable that really impressed me but it is big to hump about and due the my success with the 47L fridge I went on and bought the 78L fridge, Thinking about it their standard compressor is more than enough, But the big one is fast and powerful but not without draw backs,

I prefer the CF range of fridges compared to the CFX, I sort of think if it ain't broke don't fix it, And the fact is you have had yours for over 9 years says it all really.(y):cool:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I have a Norcold DE-251D front loading refrigerator the that was manufactured on 1982. Still cools; being replaced this winter because the door has warped.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The sealed hermetic compressors used in these units are exceptionally long lived. I have seen similar designs go 25 years in mild climates. What usually dies first is the control electronics, but I would consider 10 years of service as a minimum if the unit has not been abused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles