Refridgerator pickles

TwinStick

Explorer
Made some for the first time. Super easy, super fast & super good. I made regular dill for my wife & spicy dill for me. I just looked it up online. Bought 2 packages of pickling spice, 1 gal of white vinegar (5% acidity). Super easy.

3.5 cups of white vinegar
7.5 cups of water
1 bag of pickling spice
I also added extra dried dill weed
small pickle cukes cut in half lengthwise, or beans, or onions, or corn kernels, or cauliflower, or whatever
Hot pepper/s to your liking, or not

Let sit in fridge for at least 24 hours. Man are they good. Been wanting to try that for a long time. Finally did. Don't know why I waited so long. But now that kids are gone & we are retired, we/I have time to do those things.:)

Hummelator

Adventurer
Be wanting to make some pickles after I tried my buddies homemade vs commercially made- what a difference!
I've seen a couple 24 hour recipes for pickles but was always doubtful that it was long enough. How does the texture compare to traditionally pickled pickles? I have no doubt the flavour would be better.

TwinStick

Explorer
Pickles were nice & crisp. The clencher was: my wife always gets the Claussen pickles because they are nice & crisp. She said mine were every bit as good but with a better dill flavor & just as crisp. That means a lot coming from her. She is PICKY BIGTIME, lol. She tried them at about the 36 hr mark.

We got the small cukes from the Amish by us, they were picked the day I made them. Also bought a container of dill from the Amish & added about 2 tbs to each batch-in addition to the pickling spice mix. For the hot pepper, I used my own. I have been growing hot peppers for years, roasting & drying them in the oven, then use my Vita-Mix to turn them into pepper powder, so it lasts forever. I have enough hot pepper powder to last me the rest of my life. The Trinidad Scorpion Pepper powder & the Carolina Reaper pepper powder was so hot, I had to mix it with the jalapeno pepper powder @ 1 tsp per 23 oz & it is still wicked hot. Before I retired, we got a young Samoan Officer in who liked hot stuff & -----He could eat the straight Trinidad Scorpion pepper powder & the Carolina Reaper pepper powder like most people use salt !!! I never seen anything like it.

TwinStick

Explorer
I filled the jars about 3/4 full & added the "juice". The jars were the standard 1 qt size. I thought they were Ball jars but when i got home I realized they were China jars. They worked good, no complaints.

I literally just got done attempting sweet corn relish. I used 3, 1 qt jars. Used a package of bread & butter pickle mix. 4 cups of vinegar, 3.5 cups of sugar, I added some tumeric and some cardamon pods but removed them after boiling & before i put the liquid into the jars. We boiled 6 ears of sweet corn, then I charred them on the grill, wife cut the corn off the cobs. I chopped up 1 large onion, some green peppers & the bottom part of the stalk (chopped up) of some Romain lettuce, some chopped up pickled garlic. Took a giant bowl & put everything into it, added a can of garbanzo beans (chic peas). Mixed it all together, spooned equal amounts into each of the 3, 1 qt jars & ladled the boiling liquid in after the sugar was completely dissolved. I will let you know in a few days how this turned out.

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, the corn relish was also outstanding. I love it.

Just got done trying refrigerator spicy pickled eggs. I'll get back to you all as soon as I can. I used some pickling spice, some cloves, black pepper corns, green cardimum pods, cinnamon, bay leaves, my hot pepper poweder & ground them all up in a coffee grinder & added it to the mix. Got a LOT going on right now in our lives. Stay tuned.............

TwinStick

Explorer
OK, pickled eggs are great but OMG, the side effects are intense !!! LOL Gave a jar to my B-I-Law. His wife now hates me. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles