Refreshing the TJ - Build Thread

GP'd

Adventurer
nice looking build. wondering where the testing grounds were? looks like a nice trail ride with sweet views of the ocean. any info on it would be appreciated. thanks.

Thanks Mike! This is a small hill along the coast outside of San Francisco. It was closed off recently with gates so my 2 mile drive for quick testing grounds is now extinct.

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
My 1" and 7/8" drill bits are in the mail keeping me from the next stages of the tubing bender so I played around in Solidworks planning a Dana 30 Truss instead.

Given that I need to pull the axle and install Currie LCA Mounts after tearing one, I might as well beef it up while it is out. I am planning on cutting one wall off of a 2"x2"x.120" and cutting groves for the mounts...but this design defiantly needs some more adjusting and thinking. Do I really need a truss? Likely not...but while I have everything apart...AGAIN...I feel like it is the next step. I have the tubing laying around as well.

Note: The truss will be underneath the tubes on both sides. (the other side was hidden while I saved this image)

Decisions....decisions...

axletruss.jpg

montyjk

Thanks Mike! This is a small hill along the coast outside of San Francisco. It was closed off recently with gates so my 2 mile drive for quick testing grounds is now extinct.

bummer. thanks tho. can't wait to see the tj finished.

CV1073

Man amazing build thread! Your skill are top notch! Also congrats on being in TAD's newsletter! :)
Say hi to Pat and all the crew from the Italian USNers aka me..

BTW, I guess you already know but your name is a very Italian one

Ciao

Cris

P.S. I almost forgot: may you all have an amazing Easter

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
The 1.000" and .875" bits and shafts came in today...these things are giant! Looks like I will be trying to finish the tubing bender this weekend. I am following the Got Trikes Bender Plansbut will be making some slight modifications which will be posted later.

Drill bits and cross shafts with Sharpie for size reference:
460238_10100386663649805_6401029_47817979_541337582_o.jpg

I also received a linear flange bearing and shaft for my integrated shifter project. You may recall a few pages back, I was running a RAD Designs shifter with no TCM. To pass smog, I had to wire the TCM into the factory computer and during this process I removed the manual shifter. The linear bearing and shaft are part of a design that will incorporate both the mechanical and electronic shift capabilities of the AW4 and bolt into the stock location. The TJ is small enough inside as is, having to add another shifter to my center console once my interior is back together seems a bit cluttered.

Pictures of course as it progress....need to find more time....

GP'd

Adventurer
What hours I've had out of work and life over the past week have been focused on the tubing bender. Some pictures....

Match drilling the swing arm holes. Tried with and without cutting fluid, couldn't seem to get clean holes. The 2"x2"x.250" wall seemed like sheet metal to drill through after the stacked .75" steel arms.

P1030608-1.jpg

P1030610.jpg

I hopefully will finish it this weekend so I can get to building my bumper and install my winch. I had planned on working for another 2-3 hours last night but had a little scare. It was raining outside while I was welding so I only had the garage cracked for airflow. Well it started really pouring then hailing, so I let off the pedal and looked toward the door through my welding helmet (Auto Darkening). Well suddenly lightning flashed and my mask darkened. Scared the ******t out of me. I quickly unplugged the welder and called it a night. Talk about asking for a strike on the house!

Bender as it stands last night. You can see the die on my incredibly messy bench in the rear. I have to say there is a lot more work going into this bender than I anticipated.......

P1030616.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
A few updates over the past week.

Installed the ARB High Output Onboard Air Compressor (CKMA12) after it has been sitting in a box for the past 4 months. Its awesome to finally have the front ARB locker working and a way to fill up tires. Not sure why it wasn't done sooner; quick and easy install.

The bender is almost finished! I have about 40 inches of weld left and final clean up and paint. Can't wait to get this thing working! I had planned on finishing it this past weekend, but given that I only had Saturday to work on the Jeep, the decision to use the time for something a bit more important on the vehicle...my lower control arm brackets, was made. Not to mention my 90 lb of argon is almost out, and I couldn't risk running out on a weekend building the bender, when I had the axle out of the jeep.

Friday night I pulled the axle in 56 minutes solo. My new personal record. I think I've done it enough times in this past year setting up the suspension that it is mindless. Anyway, here is how the control arm brackets looked.

Passenger Side after I had hammered it back and re-welded it a few months back. I think these cam bolt channels are a bit tired. They had a good 140,000 mile run.

P1030617.jpg

P1030619.jpg

Driver Side not in the greatest condition either but still better than PS

P1030620.jpg

P1030621.jpg

Somehow I forgot to take pictures of the new Currie Lower Control Arm brackets but will post some up next week.

Heading up to Mammoth lakes tomorrow for some fly fishing and relaxation. I'll get some photos of the jeep out there!

The essentials for the mountains waiting to be packed up tonight!

IMG_20120418_215621.jpg

thejafe

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks for the updates, G. Have fun up in the mountains. Cant want to see some shots of your rig out in the wild.

BTW, who makes those black cases in your pic?

GP'd

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks for the updates, G. Have fun up in the mountains. Cant want to see some shots of your rig out in the wild.

BTW, who makes those black cases in your pic?

Thanks Andrew! I hope I can get some good shots!

The cases are older model Pelicans. I want to say a 1450 and 1550, but will need to confirm. Couldn't have paid more than $15-20 a piece for them used through craigslist. The smaller one with the stickers has all of my tools organized with small nylon bags and Off Road trail tools flexible rails (Link). The larger case carries a complete oil change and necessary fluids as well as hose, belt, thermostat and other odds and ends.

GP'd

Adventurer
Had a great time in the mountains with the jeep the other weekend. I finally installed my ARB compressor, and having a front locker to play around with was a blast! The suspension felt great but the 9,000 foot altitude really kills the powerband! My only complaint with the truck up there was my lack of manual transmission control. Following my re-wiring to pass smog, I removed the manual shifter, and have to say that the transmission deciding to shift at 2700 every time really kills the fun of fast corners where you need to be at 2900-3200 to maintain momentum. The torque convertor also turns on when combined with a 2-3 shift causing some issues. I think I am going to temporarily mount the shifter again until I finish my integrated one.

Still waiting to download a high res photos from the camera, but here are a few from the better half's instagram.

Taking a trail up behind Convict Lake for some scenic lunch views:

319879_10100417406575735_6401029_47922314_2073764298_n.jpg

My other favorite thing to do in the mountains. Trying to hit a hole with some #22 Nymphs on hot creek.

IMG_1843.jpg

Beautiful coloring:

533980_413844188635336_180459001973857_1583879_976384373_n.jpg

Hand in hand:

536707_10100418975706185_6410019_47931986_1778959004_n.jpg

Meanwhile on the build....The bender is at the point where it is bending, though it still needs a lot of finish work. Base needs to be built, and I have about 15 inches of weld still to do. In the interest of time and trying to get this bumper done before Overland Expo, I switched to focusing on the bumper.

First bend off of the bender; 180º No Kink Bend on 1.50" x .120" wall.

416588_10100426432672365_6401029_47967090_1696804588_o.jpg

A slow video of the bender working and my compressor working even harder!

Grinder had its final day, though Home Depot pro replaced it without questions and without receipt.

463162_10100428506596205_6401029_47979531_789691206_o.jpg

Where the bumper is at. Cross bar is placed on the vertical supports and the 90º corners will be horizontal to the ground and cut to match the fenderline. I need to work on the fairlead mount next, the lower skid cross bar and start attaching the trick tabs for the aluminum skid. The rest of my tubing should be here tomorrow so that I can do the upper radiator support. Sure wish I had a full cage to tie it into. Not sure if I am going to get this done before leaving for the Expo next week between work and what I need to finish on the TJ.

559630_10100444258898465_6401029_48032359_311833655_n.jpg

The bumper I'm using for inspiration, though I'm taking some liberties in adjusting it for my less cool vehicle.

0812_4wd_07_z+1998_jeep_wrangler_desert_race_car+front_detail.jpg

0812_4wd_01_z+1998_jeep_wrangler_desert_race_car+left_front_angle.jpg

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
The garage is a mess right now! Tonight I think it needs a re-organization so that I have the space and sanity to finish all of these projects before next week. I did a bit more mock up on the bumper last night. Set up the lower cross bar, two vertical fairlead supports, trimmed the upper cross bar, set up the skid for cutting...

Tonight I will drill the fairlead holes, and cut out and prep the skid. Hoping to get one more mock up on the front end and start welding, but there is still a lot of little finish work to do before I go to throwing beads.

IMG_20120509_223148.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
More bumper....

Mock up of the pieces; hoop material hasn't arrived yet.

P1030654.jpg

P1030653.jpg

Welded up, sitting on a beat up work bench I found at a garage sale last weekend for $5. I bought it just for this project. Completely worth it. My welding sucked that night. Kinda disappointing.

P1030655.jpg

Adjusting the mill to notch the hoop bar. I realized after I took the photo the head was 10 Degrees too far.

P1030657.jpg

Hoop set on cross bar for mock up. Not sure how I like it. Trying to decide. Any thoughts?

P1030671.jpg

P1030670.jpg

Testing the clearances of steering components and bumpers.

P1030667.jpg

Side view

P1030672.jpg

Currie Anti-Rock Install

Cut Link for my measurements & re-welded. Currie provides links set up for a 4" Lift. Major material removal needed for a 2.5"

P1030665.jpg

P1030666.jpg

Anti-Rock installed.

P1030668.jpg

GP'd

Adventurer
Well between my last minute push of building before Overland Expo, the week on the road for OEX, coming home for 2 days, spending the weekend on the lost coast and then finally coming back to a few hundred too many e-mails, I finally have time to post up some shots from the trip. I hope to have more 'build' information soon to get this thread and my Jeep back on track!

These select shots are courtesy of Marc Fiorito, Creative Director of Gamma Nine Photography. They were taken on Broken Arrow Trail, various back roads of Sedona and along the Mojave Preserve/Kelso Dunes.

DSC_7935.jpg

DSC_7907.jpg

DSC_7787.jpg

DSC_7382.jpg

DSC_3750.jpg

DSC_4000.jpg

DSC_3474.jpg

DSC_4323.jpg

Last edited:

thejafe

Adventurer
These select shots are courtesy of Marc Fiorito, Creative Director of Gamma Nine Photography. They were taken on Broken Arrow Trail, various back roads of Sedona and along the Mojave Preserve/Kelso Dunes.

DSC_7787.jpg

DSC_4000.jpg

Woah, some fantastic stuff there man. For real. The above images are my faves :sombrero: .

For me half the fun is capturing the adventure in photos then reliving it over again from the comfort of home. Of course, it's always nice to have a personal photographer (that also happens to be a professional) along for the ride, lol :ylsmoke: . Seriously though, some truly epic shots. Will have some of my own to share come September...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz