Refilling 5lb propane tank from 20lb?

84-4runner

a back issue of the Overland Journal covers how this is done. It also show how to
get tanks filled in other countries. I also have never had a propane station refuse to
fill a tank. They also never look at the cert date. But again I am not in california.

perterra

Adventurer
Don't know, it was too much of a hassle. Can't recall details, nobody nearby, overnight processes, and I think it only got you a couple more years. The tank is now too old to recert anyway, but its in like-new condition. Easiest thing is to refill, even if only to 80% capacity, from a 20lb tank (I swap these out at hardware store when he empty). I'm assuming the hose just needs to be dual ended but should have a shut off of some kind. Was hoping someone who does this could detail what they rigged up? Don't wan't guess when it come to gas!

12 years old is first cert if I recall, every 5 years after that with no limit on age with a visual check. I think the last time I remember we were charging $30 to recert. Most time we just tell people to go to a Home Depot and swap them out. Impossible to do with a 5 or 10 though

perterra

Adventurer
a back issue of the Overland Journal covers how this is done. It also show how to
get tanks filled in other countries. I also have never had a propane station refuse to
fill a tank. They also never look at the cert date. But again I am not in california.

We refuse to fill out dated. Failure to do so opens you up to a lot of liability.

john61ct

Adventurer
Every decent sized town has a walk in shop can do it, usually a $25 charge pick it up tomorrow.

Nice thing with the BBQ size, you just exchange for a new one, pay a few bucks more for the gas that one time.

perterra

Adventurer
Every decent sized town has a walk in shop can do it, usually a $25 charge pick it up tomorrow.

Nice thing with the BBQ size, you just exchange for a new one, pay a few bucks more for the gas that one time.

That is a visual inspection, proof pressure or volumetric is a bit more detailed.

bas157

A hardware store near me (in PA) charges $10 to recertify. Before that, I went to a propane supplier for refills and they would recert for free, that place sold to a national company and closed that location (think they just wanted the delivery customers). Find a place that refills welding tanks, they should be able to recert it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles