Refilling 5lb propane tank from 20lb?

DaveM

Explorer
Does anyone refill 5lb or 10lb propane tanks from a standard 20lb tank?

I have a 5lb tank that is in excellent condition but is just couple years too old to be filled at the station here. I think you get max 5 years before needing re certify them in CA. Can I refill this from a 20lb tank? I see lots of info on how to do the small disposable 1 lb tanks (no thanks) but nothing for how to refill these smaller refillable ones. Any help/info on adapters etc. much appreciated.

WOODY2

Adventurer
FWIW if you check around you might find a refill station that may not be as observant. Otherwise the refill operation is the same except terminal ends of hose will match. Safety is paramount.

pith helmet

You’ll have to turn your 20lb upside down to get liquid instead of gas, but I think it will work. Biggest issue will probably be the inability to fill it up to capacity unless it has a bleed screw. I know that’s an issue with the green 1lb refills.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Does anyone refill 5lb or 10lb propane tanks from a standard 20lb tank?

I have a 5lb tank that is in excellent condition but is just couple years too old to be filled at the station here. I think you get max 5 years before needing re certify them in CA. Can I refill this from a 20lb tank? I see lots of info on how to do the small disposable 1 lb tanks (no thanks) but nothing for how to refill these smaller refillable ones. Any help/info on adapters etc. much appreciated.
What's the cost of re-cert? If it reasonable it will get you 5 more years and no refill issues? Might be more cost and effort reasonable in the long run.

DaveM

Explorer
What's the cost of re-cert? If it reasonable it will get you 5 more years and no refill issues? Might be more cost and effort reasonable in the long run.
Don't know, it was too much of a hassle. Can't recall details, nobody nearby, overnight processes, and I think it only got you a couple more years. The tank is now too old to recert anyway, but its in like-new condition. Easiest thing is to refill, even if only to 80% capacity, from a 20lb tank (I swap these out at hardware store when he empty). I'm assuming the hose just needs to be dual ended but should have a shut off of some kind. Was hoping someone who does this could detail what they rigged up? Don't wan't guess when it come to gas!

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes in fact the officially refillable 1-lb often come in a kit that has a stand for the BBQ bottle.

Very easy process, but only do outdoors.

Recertifications cost maybe $20

ottsville

Observer
FWIW if you check around you might find a refill station that may not be as observant. Otherwise the refill operation is the same except terminal ends of hose will match. Safety is paramount.
I've never had a refill station turn down a bottle and I have taken plenty of out of date bottles for refill. But I'm not in California.

jadmt

ignore button user
lots of propane places recert for free when you fill up. I would look for a Cennex or similar farm and ranch place.

DaveM

Explorer
There are roughly 14 bazillion YouTube videos on how to do this and you can buy the fittings on Amazon and lots of other places.

Look a little closer, the videos are almost all for filling "non refillable" 1 lb bottles (or some dummy filling one 20 lb tank from another 20 lb tank), not the reusable 5 and 10 lb tanks. The 1lb refill kits have a different fitting for those bottles. I know can throw an adapter on there to get a 2 way tank hose, but no one seems to sell it that way, which is why I wanted to see what folks who might do this were actually using and what the results were (like can you actually get a decent amount of liquid back into a 5 lb from a 20 lb).

john61ct

Adventurer
1lb refill kits have a different fitting for those bottles. I know can throw an adapter on there to get a 2 way tank hose, but no one seems to sell it that way, which is why I wanted to see what folks who might do this were actually using and what the results were (like can you actually get a decent amount of liquid back into a 5 lb from a 20 lb).
Yes, it really is straightforward.

supply bottle (bigger) is upside down, receiving bottle (smaller) the right way up

liquid flows downhill, assisted if source is warmer than target.

Do not overfill, 80% at most, purge valve in the target cylinder can speed up the process and turn it off when (or if) liquid starts to emerge

and/or use a scale to be cautious.

Nigel Caulder's excellent book "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual"; see page 458

john61ct

Adventurer
Or freeze a wet towel and wrap around the target.

Or ensure the source is warm, it's the differential that matters.

But a KEY safety caution is, do NOT overfill - past 80% any bottle

especially if it's cool now at fill time

but then gets warm or hot later.

Sure the mandatory OPD fittings are supposed to prevent that

but mucking with temperature can fool them

then the pressure-relief valves are venting LPG into your locker space at random times without you knowing

Which segues into that discussion lockers must vent to the outdoors but be sealed from the living space...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles