Redthies' '97 F350 Thread

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I now know the time spent on glow plugs wasn't wasted. The truck sat for 12 hours in 29-30* weather without being plugged in. I was skeptical, but she fired right up! Quite impressed after the whole Colman stove in 40* thing!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I now know the time spent on glow plugs wasn't wasted. The truck sat for 12 hours in 29-30* weather without being plugged in. I was skeptical, but she fired right up! Quite impressed after the whole Colman stove in 40* thing!

When they work, they work great :)

My old '96 still has the original glow plugs and the truck always fires, even on those infrequent days when it's 10-20F degrees. They've been on a manual toggle for years and used sparingly.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had the local Ford dealer do my cam position sensor. I can't believe it but there was a recall still open for that, even with 280,000 miles on the truck, so Ford picked up the tab. The truck was just dieing at random times upon deceleration. It appears that it has been fixed because it hasn't died in over a week now. Otherwise, it is handling the 40 mile snowy commute with ease.

Happy New Year!

Shiryas

Adventurer
I hope the CPS solves the problem. Keep an International or Ford spare in the glovebox, they are less than $20.

Happy new year Red.

Cheers, Chris

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ooh, aah, that bumper also works as a nice platform for standing on while performing maintenance or working on the engine.

Did just that about 1 hour ago. (Unplugged the EBPV). It's very handy. I was going to put my 8274 back where it belongs, but it might find its wy onto the Rubicon.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...I was going to put my 8274 back where it belongs, but it might find its wy onto the Rubicon.

Although I'd have to ditch my old Reunel front (no winch) bumper for something else, I've been thinking an 8274 would be a nice addition on the nose of my old 7.3L. :)

bftank

Explorer
glad you got the cps figured out red. i think the 8274 on the explorer is going to be going on my f350 temporarily. it is just to big for the explorer. i would rather have an m12000 for it, but it is what it is.

oh and merry christmas happy new year and all that jazz!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Tanks, tank:sombrero:

After unplugging the EBPV the truck actually runs normally in the -10*C weather. That's 20*F +/- for my southern brothas.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thought a quick update was in order. The truck is running awesome! With the exception of the starter quitting without any warning while I was at work way back in the bush. Luckily there was a company truck I could use to go on a parts run. That ate my carpet fund, but I should replenish that shortly.

I also am poking around the interweb looking at 03-07 Cummins duallies for camper carry duties. Some mixed feelings on this, but I am 2000 lbs over my gvw with the camper on. I am not ignorant to what could happen if I get in an accident where someone is hurt.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Time for another update. I have sold the F350 to a great couple from Chile, who plan to put a camper on it and drive it home to South America. I am going to help them get it serviced and ready for the big trip over the course of the next couple of months. It really doesn't need much more than front axle u-joints, all fluids changed and a spare parts bin filled with common wear/failure parts. I would love to be doing this trip, but at least my truck gets to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94