Redman's small build

Redman333

Adventurer
So with 285/75/18 nitto trail grapplers, will these tires fit at least somewhat without the wheels spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redman333

Adventurer
I ended up buying some 1.5" wheels spacers from just differentials. They are really nice also.

Before spacers

After wheels spacers

Also just got my tires in today. Went with 285/75/18. Nearly a 35" tire

Now I have to get on with getting the AHC lift done. Also need to install my AHC over ride. I have a body lift but I'm going to hold off on it for now. I tried several times to order a diff drop but have been in successful.

Redman333

Adventurer
Thanks! I'd really appreciate pictures!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know I said I'd take some pics but I had a small change in this step. I think I've decided to not do the AHC over ride. Originally I had planned on adjusting the AHC sensors to give a small lift. Just enough to drive on the street in N and not rub. Then I figured I'd use the over ride for off-road use. However when doing my adjustment on my AHC sensors I had to max out the front in order to get the gains I needed. The rear isn't maxed but that's not where I have clearance issues. So no I can't even go into Hi mode anymore anyway. So for me the over ride would be useless.

I am going to order a set of slee coil spacers and see if I can find the AHC shock spacer but they may not be in production anymore. If I can get both spacers I'll probably go ahead and install the over ride but for now it's going to ride the bench in my garage. Apologies for this. I did however find another guy that had taken a bunch of pics of his install. If I can locate it I'll post the link up here.

Willman

Killer LX470! That rubber is huge! Why not just do the OME lift and be done?

Keep us posted on how the tires impact the MPG's.

Redman333

Adventurer
Killer LX470! That rubber is huge! Why not just do the OME lift and be done?

Thank you!

Several reasons. I'm a geek when it comes to electronics so the AHC system in general intrigues me and I'm curious how far I can push it. I also like the idea of being able to raise and lower the suspension to suit my needs at any given time.

Another reason is I like the ability to change the ride based on conditions and or load of vehicle.

Lastly priority of funds/modifications. The suspension I have somewhat decided to swap this out with is the icon stage 2.5 I believe. This setup would give me the adjustable ride quality also which I like. This setup is expensive though, which is fine with me if that's all I needed to do to the vehicle but it's not.

So I've chosen to hold off on the suspension for now since this setup works and it's kinda fun to play with. I can get the other items installed that need to be done and then address the suspension at that point.

Redman333

Adventurer
Got to do some light wheeling that's near my house just to check clearance when stuffing the tires. Everything clears. I'm happy about that.

Then removed my side steps. If I had known it was that easy I would have taken them off sooner. The only issue I had was a small clearance issue on the passenger side because of the ac hoses. I was able to squeeze a swivel socket and extension in there though without having to remove the cover for the ac hoses.

Bretthn

Explorer
Looking good. My LX's younger twin.

I still love my AHC. I have not been easy on it by any means.

Redman333

Adventurer
Looking good. My LX's younger twin.

I still love my AHC. I have not been easy on it by any means.

Hey I meant to message you actually. I was looking through your build thread the other day and recognized some spots you want wheeling and found you are in NC. I'm in Wilmington but we do trips up to the mountains a lot to camp and just plain explore. Sometime knowing where we are going and sometimes not. I'm always looking for fellow North Carolinians to wheel with though.

doubleroses

Adventurer
Looks good man. I understand about the AHC stuff. If you don't want it anymore I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

Btw...I really like those tires. I went and purchased a second set of wheels and plan on running some 285/75/16 KO2's that I've been using on my 80 just to save money for now. I'll eventually have off road tires for both. Right now I really like the Cooper ST MAXX'S and the ones you have on yours.

Redman333

Adventurer
Looks good man. I understand about the AHC stuff. If you don't want it anymore I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

Btw...I really like those tires. I went and purchased a second set of wheels and plan on running some 285/75/16 KO2's that I've been using on my 80 just to save money for now. I'll eventually have off road tires for both. Right now I really like the Cooper ST MAXX'S and the ones you have on yours.

When I'm done with the system I'll let you know. It'll probably be a while though. I've heard a lot of good things about the cooper st maxx's recently. I have a few friends that just put them on their jeeps. They seem to like them a lot. I have always like the nittos or the toyo MTs style wise. I know they are a good tire too so that's why I went that route.

Willman

Thank you!

Several reasons. I'm a geek when it comes to electronics so the AHC system in general intrigues me and I'm curious how far I can push it. I also like the idea of being able to raise and lower the suspension to suit my needs at any given time.

Another reason is I like the ability to change the ride based on conditions and or load of vehicle.

Lastly priority of funds/modifications. The suspension I have somewhat decided to swap this out with is the icon stage 2.5 I believe. This setup would give me the adjustable ride quality also which I like. This setup is expensive though, which is fine with me if that's all I needed to do to the vehicle but it's not.

So I've chosen to hold off on the suspension for now since this setup works and it's kinda fun to play with. I can get the other items installed that need to be done and then address the suspension at that point.

Interesting! Sounds like your up for a challenge. Good thing for FSM's and MUD then! Icon sound like a great lift. I sure loved my Icon coils on my Tacoma. Plus great customer service as well.

Keep us posted on the MPG's. Thanks,

tribeof5

Adventurer
Just so I am clear, you are clearing those tires with no modifications other than the wheel spacers at this time. Correct?

Redman333

Adventurer
Just so I am clear, you are clearing those tires with no modifications other than the wheel spacers at this time. Correct?

Not correct. I am out of town right now so I can get pics of the pinch seam but I had to trim the front bumper at the bottom corner. The tire was hitting the inner fender liner at the pinch seam and hit the pinch seam there too. I used a cut off wheel to score the pinch seam and then a hammer to fold it in ward. I scored it because I didn't want to cut it off completely and it's a pretty tough piece of metal. Then just used a razor blade to cut the inner fender only where the tire made contact. Then painted it all black. When I get home I'll take some pics. Since then I've had a chance to flex it out pretty good and it's not hitting anywhere.

tribeof5

Adventurer
Awesome. Thank you for the info. Pics would be great. I'm ordering tires in the next two weeks. I suppose I should get some wheel spacers headed my way first. Trying to gather as much info as possible here first. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles