Redesigned Flippac?

jlcanterbury

A well-known vendor of a fiberglass and fabric product (not AT) recently mentioned to me that there might be a better FlipPac type camper coming on the market soon. The context was to tell me that the price of used FlipPacs would soon drop due to zero demand. Though the price would have to be pretty low to threaten the used market.

Care at all to elaborate? What exactly does "might be" mean? Who might be manufacturing these better flippac type campers? I'd be very interested to know more...

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
So if not a patented system then go for it Mr Designer/Entrepreneur and keep cost reasonable at5K which is cheap when compared to a 4 wheel camper. The flippac goes places with my Tacoma that other overlanders with campers will never see - that is what the bottom line for me still.

Not sure if this is targeted at me, but I was commenting on how a redesign by AT would be awesome. While I am an engineer, I have no interest in actually building a new Flippac. Seem AT could carry over alot from the Habitats with good success. I hope this happens!

Also interested in what Dman93 has to say.

homemade

Adventurer
They are the same body thickness, if you request no windows. I cut a hole in mine and =

Are you saying that there is no difference in thickness with or without windows or that there is no difference in the windowless "thicker" version between what AT sells vs bought directly from FRP?

The piece you cut from yours looks thick enough to me, did you buy yours from FRP or AT, if from FPR did you add the windows or is it the standard one with windows?

There is a lot of misinformation about these campers on this web site, thanks for clearing some of it up.

homemade

Adventurer
A well-known vendor of a fiberglass and fabric product (not AT) recently mentioned to me that there might be a better FlipPac type camper coming on the market soon. The context was to tell me that the price of used FlipPacs would soon drop due to zero demand. Though the price would have to be pretty low to threaten the used market.

First of all there isn't much demand for this type product anyway, which is why there isn't any current other offerings other than FRP and why Wildnernest went under. Second, I'll believe the improved version when I see it. Thirdly, if there is an improved version that comes to market I would expect that it would be much more expensive than the FRP flippac (at least the FRP price rather than the much higher prices from resellers) so it might not have much impact on new or used flippac sales anyway (which are already a low volume niche product). If a competitively priced better product becomes available that would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Cytocycle

Observer
By looking at the cut up flippac above, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the increased thickness claims refer to the area where the window would be.

Yes when I just orderd my Flip-pac I had the side windows deleted and they offer a thicker layer of fiberglass where the windows would be only. They also added a plate in the passenger front corner where I will mount 1-2 holes for either shower/power and will show me where the re-inforced areas are. I had them do that for the rear above the window to see if I can mount an awning off the back.

austintaco

Explorer
Cytocycle, thanks for clearing that up. I think this explains why there is no noticieable difference in ones with windows or without. When I looked into having a sunroof put in my truck, I was concerned about safety of glass over sheet metal. What I found is that at least in the roof area, the glass is actually stronger and can withstand more pressure before cracking/ crumbling. I'm not sure how the windows in the flippac measure up to sunroof panels. Just a thought. My flippac has survived quite a few off camber drops while on the trail with no issue.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I was playing around in IG this weekend and saw a guy who has a flatbed on his Taco and then an Aluminum style camper on the back with the flippac style top...Anyone know if that build is on here? Its pretty freaking sweet! And it makes me think, who not make one out of aluminum instead of fiberglass?

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I was playing around in IG this weekend and saw a guy who has a flatbed on his Taco and then an Aluminum style camper on the back with the flippac style top...Anyone know if that build is on here? Its pretty freaking sweet! And it makes me think, who not make one out of aluminum instead of fiberglass?

Is this the one?
DSCF2870_zpswat5nj3v.jpg

(seen at the North West Overland Rally)

dman93

Adventurer
Surfboard rack

I wouldn't write it off. It all depends how it's attached. Four 1/4-20 bolts going into rivnuts, maybe not. With a sturdy doubler plate on the inside to distribute the load, and care to avoid sharp edges creating a stress concentration into the glass, and it could be fine. Especially if the upper mount ties into the top beam. Lots of folks attach awnings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles