RedArc Dual Input Battery Charger

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I am using the 40A model. Input is 24v from the alternator, output is 12v to the AGM camper battery. Also have a 160w solar panel attached. Works as advertised.

Advantages are:

-- Small size
-- Dust sealed
-- No fan required
-- Very aggressive charge voltages for lead acid
-- Dual input, alternator and solar

You are correct, you do not use a relay with this unit.

Right answer for you? You need to consider:

-- Voltage of your alternator. Does it match your intended battery? If not, can you adjust?
-- How much charge do you need? Is 40A enough? Would you be better off with a relay and a separate solar controller?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow, thats a nice unit. A bit pricey, but then again there are not a lot of DC-DC chargers out there that also allow Solar to be connected as well (that I am aware of. Maybe I need to get out more??).

Thanks for posting this. I like that it is self contained and no external relay is needed.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't call it a gimmick, but unlike adding a separate solar controller, the total output is still only 40A. The only thing that changes is the source of power, not the amount.

The good news is that solar will take load off of your alternator (at least the REDARC prioritizes solar, don't know about CTEK). The bad news is that your total current is not increased, so, if the output of your B2B is not adequate, adding the solar will not help things.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I am going to be installing a second battery in my Tundra

Which year Tundra and where are you putting the second battery?

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
It’s a 2016. I plan on running my ARB 50 quart, possibly some camp lights (led) and the occasional camera change.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The key elements are:

-- The charging voltage of your Tundra and the type of battery you want to use. If your battery is a lead acid that wants over 14v and your Tundra runs at over 14v, then you might be better off with a relay based system and a separate solar controller.

-- If your Tundra runs at around 13.9v and you are using lithium, then you should probably use a key controlled relay or one of the special intelligent relays with a higher disconnect voltage, e.g. Victron.

-- If your Tundra runs at around 13.9v and you are using lead acid, then you are probably better off with a B2B to boost the voltage. Depending on the size of your battery bank, a B2B with integrated solar. e.g. CTEK or REDARC, will work. For a larger bank, I would go with a separate solar controller.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
It’s a 2016. I plan on running my ARB 50 quart, possibly some camp lights (led) and the occasional camera change.

OK, but where are you putting the battery? What kind of battery? What size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94