Redarc BMS 30, not for use in Cold temps

Chorky

Observer
Well that absolutely sucks for most of North America.
This sensor will allow charging of lead acid batteries down to -25degrees C. PDF attached.
Interesting. -25C is only -13F. In my bit of the world, thats about the average winter temp.... I wonder if sticking to AGM, fabing up some heated blankets, and using a more old school method is going to be the way to go for those of us in colder climates. Obviously there is a solution seeing as how many rigs are on the north slope....

john61ct

Adventurer
If you go to the trouble of building insulated & heated boxen for your House bank,

Or build the bank in modules easy to take with you from one heated space to the next

that is the key to using (especially charging) LFP in cold climates anyway.

Then the original version will act as a failsafe to prevent you inadvertantly destroying the cells.

Which you would otherwise need to devise.

Red90

Adventurer
Seem crazy that they have a cold limit. The worst that could happen if it is colder out is the battery is a bit undercharged. It would really suck to have your charger die on you at -40.

john61ct

Adventurer
This is a design feature, not a bug in the context of where the unit comes from.

In Australia people that can afford Redarc gear use LFP

Quality deep cycle lead banks are **much** more expensive than NA

LFP relatively much cheaper, for many years now, plenty of local makers sell quality turnkey packs

therefore market penetration is much more advanced.

An LFP bank worth 10grand can be permanently rendered instant scrap if you try to charge at any decent current rate when the cells are cold enough.

Which barely ever happens down under, few camp in cold weather, at all.

chadx

Off the road again...just can't wait to get off...
Seem crazy that they have a cold limit. The worst that could happen if it is colder out is the battery is a bit undercharged. It would really suck to have your charger die on you at -40.
As mentioned, it was an issue with early units. They have remedied as of 2019 and the units will charge each battery chemistry as appropriate. My unit was simply an older unit. REDARC replaced the shunt/battery sensor under warranty, I installed it, and all is good now. Those that buy the latest REDARC battery manager 30 will not have an issue charging in the cold.

chadx

This is a design feature, not a bug in the context of where the unit comes from.
By REDARCS admission, that isn't correct. The battery sensor was not working per spec. The unit's performance did not match their own literature and users manual. Only the Lithium battery setting should have been cold-temperature limited. No reason to limit all battery chemistry charging do to the limits of one chemistry. The battery sensor on my unit has been replaced under warranty and at no cost to me (except a little elbow grease) with a different part number that performs to the original REDARC spec. All REDARV battery management systems now will charge non-lithium battery types well below freezing as REDARC intended.

Red90

Adventurer
As mentioned, it was an issue with early units. They have remedied as of 2019 and the units will charge each battery chemistry as appropriate. My unit was simply an older unit. REDARC replaced the shunt/battery sensor under warranty, I installed it, and all is good now. Those that buy the latest REDARC battery manager 30 will not have an issue charging in the cold.
I thought you said above it won’t charge below -13F. Did I misunderstand?

chadx

Correct in that the AGM/lead acid lower charge limit is -13F (-25C) per the manual. That one I've not tested. And I just unhooked my battery so will not get to check the REDARC lower limit this winter when it drops below that.
When I answered you above, I had misunderstood your post and thought that you thought (ha) the current units were limited to 32F (0C) for AGM/Lead acid, but now I understand that you meant that -13F (-25C) should not be a limit for AGM/Lead Acid. A -13F limit will definitely impact far fewer users than a 32F limit, but see you point questioning why there is a cutoff at all (Well, as long as the battery is above 10.5v because below 10.5v, a battery will freeze solid and charging that would be big trouble). But as long as the charger compensates due to temp, I agree there really isn't a reason it for it not to charge on down lower than -13F (-25C).

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $14.59
Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $17.54
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide route and planning guide...
by Chris Scott
From $22.06
Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99