Redarc BMS 30, not for use in Cold temps

aaen

Adventurer
Well I live my BMS 30 system, it completely simplified my dual battery setup, and chatting abilities. Wonderful piece of tech.

That being said, I found out after I ripped out my old dual battery setup and installed this, that it will not charge batteries in cold temps. Anything below freezing and the BMS cuts the charging to the battery. Exactly at what temp that is I am not sure, but I believe it to be zero, looking thru the Manila to see if u can find this..

Currently working with red arc to see.if I can get around this issue or I basically just bought an expensive paper weight for my truck.

If anyone is looking to buy one of these in North America, where 2/3 of the continent sees below freezing temps, I'd strongly suggest looking at an alternative solution or if possible installing it in a heated area (cab/etc).

shade

Well I live my BMS 30 system, it completely simplified my dual battery setup, and chatting abilities. Wonderful piece of tech.

That being said, I found out after I ripped out my old dual battery setup and installed this, that it will not charge batteries in cold temps. Anything below freezing and the BMS cuts the charging to the battery. Exactly at what temp that is I am not sure, but I believe it to be zero, looking thru the Manila to see if u can find this..

Currently working with red arc to see.if I can get around this issue or I basically just bought an expensive paper weight for my truck.

If anyone is looking to buy one of these in North America, where 2/3 of the continent sees below freezing temps, I'd strongly suggest looking at an alternative solution or if possible installing it in a heated area (cab/etc).
Interesting. Is there a setting for lithium based batteries? I can see that shutting down charging at lower temperatures.

aaen

Adventurer
You can tell it what battery you have in the settings, no idea if it does anyrhinf. Mine are AGM and it shuts down the charging. Not because the battery is cold because the BMS senses the temp. Zero issues with my previous setups and keeping the battery charged.

Trying to get them to respond if installing it in the truck cab and it detecting warmer temps from the truck heater if it will charge it.

I've just ruined one battery on this as I was not aware it would shut charging down and the battery was flat when I checked it, couple cells in the battery are toast when it got tested. It's covered under battery warranty but drawing a battery down flat and freezing tends to cause this.

Unfortunately, it did not say this anywhere on there website when ordering, and I only found it in the manual in the back in troubleshooting. I should have known better and asked as I have run into countless issues with electronics built to work in warm climates that cannot stand up to the cold winters and hot summers we experience. Anywyas it probably says it elsewhere in the manual, but you've opened up the product and it is now no longer able to be used.

I'll see if I can dig up a few pics of where it's states this in the manual. So others can be aware as well.

aaen

Adventurer
Sadly it's set to AGM, I thought the same thing when i noticed this. I've since ripped it out of the truck until I hear back from red arc on how to rectify this, it I'll be asking for a refund.

shade

Sadly it's set to AGM, I thought the same thing when i noticed this. I've since ripped it out of the truck until I hear back from red arc on how to rectify this, it I'll be asking for a refund.
I hope they want it back so they can check it for a fault.
Please post how they resolve it. I hope it ends well for you.

shade

john61ct

Adventurer
I guess Tassie and the Snowy Mountains no longer get so cold, what with climate change?

Perfect for LFP though, so until they rectify it

they should sell it in NA market as an LFP-only device.

Last edited:

shade

Hard to argue.

I hope that low temp cutoff is an artificial limitation that can be changed through reprogramming, not a limitation of the hardware.

aaen

Adventurer
Wasn't a matter of price, I was trying to eliminate the monstrosity of wiring in the truck. The electrical system, dual battery charging, solar controller, ability to charge offa plugin/etc takes up a serious amount of room in a truck. Not to mention to complexity of the wiring to make it all work together.

Anyways, this system works amazing in above freezing temps. Below you might as well just toss it out which I found out.

There is no user adjustable setpoints, Redarc got back to me awhile ago on it. However they seem to be more worried about the battery and the temp range it is designed to be used/charged in. Um this is north america, last I checked all automotive batteries are rated for below freezing temps.

Seller was REDARC USA, I will be contacting them tomorrow regarding the system.

wow $1300 for only 30A
Pay through the nose for the privilege of supporting aussie workers

And no user-custom adjustable setpoints ?

Sorry, I know they have good build quality, but design and value are just out the window there
ask;

aaen

Adventurer
Actually, I just found what you're looking for in the manual. Check out page 6.

Operating Temperature* -40°C - 80°C

* The Manager30 will only charge the battery when the battery temperature is between 0°C and 60°C in order to protect the battery from damage.

Well that absolutely sucks for most of North America. I hope the seller gives you a refund.

Working on that tomorrow, REDARC just got back to me tonight after about two weeks of hearing nothing from them on the xmas break.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes as with the other "all in one" DCDCs, the included solar controller functionality and conversion efficiency do not come close to a proper separate dedicated SC.

The Victron SmartSolar MPPT line is excellent value, 75/15 at ~$130 delivered, 100/50 not much more than double. . .

Integration and reducing gadget count is great in theory, but

I think the intention with the "free built-in" ones is to provide an easy way to add a little panel just to keep the battery topped up in storage rather than the more robust needs of life deep cycling off grid.

I'll stick to "best of breed" for each component myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior