Redarc BCDC in Trailer Wiring Question

SoCal_80

Explorer
Hey all and hoping for some help. I have a Redarc bcdc mounted in the trailer supporting a Battleborn battery. All is good there, have solar connected and love the Redarc thus far. Now i am in the process of running wire from the Land Cruiser’s battery back to the Redarc bcdc in the trailer to charge while i am driving. The bcdc only has a positive input from the vehicle charging battery. So my question....

Do I just need to run a positive wire from the truck’s battery to the bcdc and i am good? Or do i/should i run positive and negative back to the trailer and connect the positive to the bcdc and ground the negative to the trailer?

Thank you all!
Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Hey all and hoping for some help. I have a Redarc bcdc mounted in the trailer supporting a Battleborn battery. All is good there, have solar connected and love the Redarc thus far. Now i am in the process of running wire from the Land Cruiser’s battery back to the Redarc bcdc in the trailer to charge while i am driving. The bcdc only has a positive input from the vehicle charging battery. So my question....

Do I just need to run a positive wire from the truck’s battery to the bcdc and i am good? Or do i/should i run positive and negative back to the trailer and connect the positive to the bcdc and ground the negative to the trailer?

Thank you all!
Sean

Perhaps @REDARC_Ryan and/or @REDARC Tech Team will chime in to advise.

REDARC Tech Team

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor

Thank you all!
Sean

Hey SoCal!

Thanks for reaching out, i'm assuming you're working on the 06' and i'm going to assume it has a fixed output alternator instead of a newer "smart" alternator..

attached is a diagram of how we recommend to wire it up!

Chassis ground on both sides, using an Anderson Type connector.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out!

Attachments

• BCDC Trailer.jpg
    BCDC Trailer.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 42

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Hey SoCal!

Thanks for reaching out, i'm assuming you're working on the 06' and i'm going to assume it has a fixed output alternator instead of a newer "smart" alternator..

attached is a diagram of how we recommend to wire it up!

Chassis ground on both sides, using an Anderson Type connector.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out!
Thank you !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice having some Redarc folks on these forums, isn't it?

firewhite

firewhite
I have a redarc bcdc charger on my trailer. I have the smaller one 25 amp (I believe). I did not do a separate negative wire from my tow vehicle battery, just the positive. I did run it in 8 gauge wire as recommended from camper dealer prior to redarc install. BCDC charger in my opinion is a must with or without smart alternator (Mine is). I also use the solar charger controller part of it with 2 100 watt panels.

SoCal_80

Explorer
Thank you. So I called Redarc yesterday… they recommended running both the pos/neg from the truck to the trailer. So positive from the truck battery (obviously) and the negative from chassis ground to the Andersen connector. On the trailer side the positive connected to the bcdc a d the ground to the same chassis ground in the trailer as the battery ( smart shunt in my case). So I think I have all the info I need now. Going to run the truck wires first. Probably going with 4 awg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles