Red top as aux batter

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Ive had dual battery setups on other vehicles. Now that im starting to build up my 4runner im going to get another dual set up together for inverter, winch, lights, etc.. Is it possible to use an Optima red top as the aux battery or will it just kill it because its not a deep cycle? I only got the red top because i got it brand new for 50 bucks which is a pretty good deal so i didnt want to pass on it.

What do u guys think?

mikracer

Adventurer
From what I've gathered, the deep cycle batteries are better suited for Aux batteries because it can withstand the deep discharge/charge cycles better. Your battery will work for a while, but you run the chance of killing the battery if you run it too low, too often.

hesterj

Adventurer
I have ran this setup for the last 4 years so far with no concerns. Both red tops came from a 6.4 diesel (looked brand new). The new owner did not want them so I settled up with the parts man over the $3.00 core charge.
Just treat them easy.

madmax718

Explorer
It ain't a deep cycle. You will probably be fine, but I can tell you that they don't store that much power- even new- great Cranking power, but doesn't have the same amount of stored power. I had one hooked up to my CF18 (small fridge) and it lasted about a day in a half. size 26 or 27.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier