Red Interior Lights

Bravo30

Finding reasonable red lights isn’t easy so I decided to make my own with a few left over lights I had laying around. I used red transparent vinyl wrap cut out to fit over the lens. I had to double up the film to get the right depth to the red so that it wouldn’t look pinkish. I also ordered a 1/16 red acrylic sheet off of eBay that I can cut to fit for a more permanent solution but for now this gives me an idea of what I’m dealing with.

The pictures makes the light look brighter than it is but when I add 2 of them I will need a dimmer for sure. This is still in testing phase so post any ideas you have.

D7F64CAB-B0D1-4C1E-94AE-C4C9E3A29FBF.jpegF187892C-F1D9-441E-AB7F-EAD126C11482.jpeg476089E5-1A21-4F74-A6E7-9E7857DB1024.jpegBF39A5A0-71ED-4668-BCF5-E7D7E8DC0530.jpegC7892020-B174-4EB4-8D2C-2D7FB983AEF0.jpeg09FF14D1-D5BE-4245-8660-6E67D38A1CEC.jpeg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Why not use red brake lights, like those for trailers? Nice pure red LEDs, 12v - should be ready to go.

I don't know about now but not long ago you could get a mind blowing array of LED fixtures, bulbs, and so forth in not just red but any color desired, even some units with a remote to change the colors if you so desired. Maybe www.superbrightleds.com

I replaced the interior lights in my SUV with red LEB bulbs after I installed extra lighting on a separate switch. The old stock fixtures were not that useful anymore, but with a red bulb I can still turn them on for night lights and one up front as a map light (more like find what I dropped without blinding myself at night, light.)

Chuck1

Forward operating base for the Canadian invasion ?

You can buy Red LEDs

Attachments

• redled.jpg
    redled.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 11

1000arms

Take a look at lighting "gels" for bands and filmmaking.

Things may have changed, but, most places used to give away the gel swatch books for free, at least when asking for them in person. Look through a swatch book to find the color you are looking for, and then buy the gel sheet (or roll) that you need.

See the following links for examples.

You could probably velcro mount the gels to the roof if you wanted to be able to quickly remove them (or quickly change the color gels).

Using red LED lights would likely give you better light-output for power-consumed, but, that may not matter to you, and the gels I mentioned might be your easiest and cheapest solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne