Red Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (97)

Saratoga

Adventurer
Well, for many years I thought everyone knew about these but it seems not. When I was into Landrovers back in the nineties, I was acquainted with a chap in Gwynedd in Wales with a red Camel Trophy discovery and it was very nice, and one of the things that encouraged me towards liking Discoveries.

I know that he has since moved on to other vehicle but having done a clear-out recently I found these in my photo archive. I am sure there are some others there also as I took some for measurements for things from the engine bay for another friend.

I don't own a 4x4 at the moment, but I do drive a red Rover 400 diesel, so it's close enough in these expensive times we live in.

P228 KAC, first registered 24th December 1996 with a 2495 diesel engine. Vehicle colour is 'not stated' and is currently SORNed and uninsured, therefore probably off-road tucked away somewhere.

In the late 90s sometime it was present at Gaydon and was on the stand, as I have the photos here. However, they are of a poor quality but it did have the information board in front of it next to another traditionally coloured vehicle.

6839879194_abd68f9883_o.jpg

Under the bonnet you can see the sand-coloured paint there as well, almost as if it was painted the sand in a base coat then the red on top. I don't know if that was the case, knowing little about them anyway. But as you experts, I am sure you know what you're talking about ;)
6986001549_601577e4be_b.jpg

Saratoga

Adventurer
These were taken not far from where he lived, I think. I seem to recognise part of the valley head but I could be wrong :eek:

6839879422_65b7132ccf_b.jpg

6839880572_88f0da9cb0_b.jpg

6986002375_d55d5aaf10_b.jpg

6986002169_1f5309c1ed_b.jpg

Saratoga

Adventurer
And these were taken in the nearby town, which I also recognise from the mists of my memory...

6839879662_2a69465a17_b.jpg

6839881432_48a8a906e8_b.jpg

6839880340_129fe56031_b.jpg

Mongolia, 97!
6986002505_c079f34fb7_b.jpg

I have seen a few articles around regarding Camels not of sand coloured but not many so thought you'd want to see these images before they spread elsewhere on the web ;)

I'm sorry the images are slightly larger than the page, and I have been encouraged on other forums to place no more than 4-5 images per message, so hence 3 posts for this meagre thread! :D

Ray_G

Explorer
Fascinating...utterly fascinating. CT kit, proper kit for Mongolia in fact...and very clearly not sandglow. Re-spray? (esp with no hood blackout).
Still jealous of the fine machine, but also not sure why anyone would repaint a piece of history.

Saratoga

Adventurer
It was one of the special editions from LR. There was a blue, red and silver colour set and in limited edition. Don't know how limited but it was just a support vehicle I think.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I do know that they did do a couple of different colours to try a different marketing approach but I believe they failed miserably and went back to the sand glow colour....I know there is a blue one out there in England much the same as the red one here....By the time 1997 came around the organisers were more into special tasks that the expeditionary side of it...the rack on this vehicle would have carried probably either a canoe or a bicycle, (I believe it was a Lee Cougan bicycle..???)...or both.. hence the different brackets on the rack...they also had some camel trophy inflatable hard bottom boats..

ini88

Adventurer
That is very cool. You can see it started out sand glow from the color in the engine bay. I want that bumper real bad!

Saratoga

Adventurer
Seems the guy who owns this red one now also owns the blue one, and he's selling this one, about £12,000 ISTR. Bit OTT for me but it looks good in the photos, I'm sure it would look even better in real life! :D

rijosho

Adventurer
You can see it started out sand glow from the color in the engine bay.

x2 - looks like it was just masked and sprayed almost as an afterthought.

It also looks like he was tilling some fields with that hitch in the back!!!! :D

LtFuzz

Explorer
That is very cool. You can see it started out sand glow from the color in the engine bay. I want that bumper real bad!

Dale Knepp (Rovertrader on here) had a legit CT bumper not too long ago -- dunno if he sold it or not...

Saratoga

Adventurer
They weren't taken at the same time were they. I think the carpark ones were taken first, and the hillside ones later. In the carpark it doesn't have the tow hitch adapter at the back. It must have come on the steels and were upgraded to alloys, and there is an LRM sticker in the back window.

Daktari

there's an article in a LRM or LRO about this CT strange vehicles ,far as i remember the blue one was blue from the begining ,and it was repainted to sand glow when the owner found it at a land rover driving school or something ,then ,he repaint the whole vehicle to blue again (but both vehicles ,red and blue have XS wheels in the article) ,the silver one was a Freelander ,unfortunatelly i dont have my magazines here =(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94