Recycling Lithium Ion Batteries, An Emerging Market

Lovetheworld

@javajoe79 Ah great!! Can the Orion BMS talk to the Tesla module computers? Or do you hookup the BMS directly to the cells with computer module removed? With Orion I think the second way?

Where did you get those orange connectors between the modules, that go up one level? Or did you make them yourself?
The aluminum vertical cooling tubes you made yourself I think.

The Tesla motors are great for second hand use!
It's a shame that it is much harder to convert cars over here due to the paperwork. There are new sets available for converting, but they are so expensive and you only get 100hp, not including any batteries.
For the same money you get a 500hp Tesla drive unit (okay, having batteries to deliver that power is then your second issue)

javajoe79

Fabricator
@javajoe79 Ah great!! Can the Orion BMS talk to the Tesla module computers? Or do you hookup the BMS directly to the cells with computer module removed? With Orion I think the second way?

Where did you get those orange connectors between the modules, that go up one level? Or did you make them yourself?
The aluminum vertical cooling tubes you made yourself I think.

The Tesla motors are great for second hand use!
It's a shame that it is much harder to convert cars over here due to the paperwork. There are new sets available for converting, but they are so expensive and you only get 100hp, not including any batteries.
For the same money you get a 500hp Tesla drive unit (okay, having batteries to deliver that power is then your second issue)
I believe it can be either way but we're also not using the Tesla computer, Just the ZeroEV stuff. I am learning as I go. The car owner just hands down the info on what needs to connect to what and I do it. We haven't started wiring that part yet so I'm not sure. The wires dangling in the pics are all the BMS wires that I ran to mil spec plugs on the battery box. Once they're in the car and the BMS is mounted, we'll build the harness for that. This is my first E car so it's a big learning curve.

The battery buss bars came from ZeroEV. They sell them in LH and RH versions, if you will, so that you can connect them differently based on orientation. For example the front battery box has two stacks of three batteries so it will have 2 buss bars like shown above and 2 that are a mirror image of those.

Yes I made the cooling tubes. The push on fittings I salvaged from the Tesla donor as they're pretty expensive to buy.

The Tesla motor is really nice and at this point there are even upgraded parts available. We're using a Quaife differential and stub axles that bolt right up to 930 Porsche CV joints. Really made that part easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles