Recovery strap -- how old is old?

goalie39

I have a 30' recovery strap, the standard yellow nylon type. It's over 10 years old, but I've only used it twice for a couple of easy pulls, so it's in very good condition.

My question is -- do these things have a shelf life? Should I replace it?

It's usually kept in my garage, or in a box when it's in my truck, so it's not exposed to sun or extreme temps. Thanks!

frumpy

Explorer
It's for sure past its usable life. If you ship it to me I can ensure that it is properly disposed of.

All kidding aside, if it looks good, no wear, no fraying, no fading, I would say you are good to go.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, should be fine if its in good condition. One thing is keep them stored out of the sun to minimize deterioration. Another is to wash them after a trip if you use them since dirt will abrade the fibers.

FWIW, my older strap (ProComp 4"x30' IIRC strap) is over 10 years old and still working fine although it's now in semi-retirement since I use a true snatch strap (arb strap built to stretch) versus what was essentially a super strong tow strap.

HTH

ForealBoreal

Observer
Treat it like a climbing rope....
If you don't know the direct life of it: replace it.
I would say a max of 10 years old with say a pull a year and keeping it clean.
Stuff degrades.... but after all its your call.

REasley

Adventurer
Treat it like a climbing rope....
If you don't know the direct life of it: replace it.
I would say a max of 10 years old with say a pull a year and keeping it clean.
Stuff degrades.... but after all its your call.

Why the arbitrary 10 year window? One of my straps I bought in 1976 and is still in use. I keep my straps clean and out of the light. They get checked before every trip for any signs of fraying or broken fibers. Properly stored there should be no expiration date.

Scott Brady

Founder
fading, cuts, fraying, over-stretching, mildew, burns/melting = replace.

A good nylon strap will last decades if kept out of the sun and free from mildew and excess heat.

K2ZJ

Explorer
Why the arbitrary 10 year window? One of my straps I bought in 1976 and is still in use. I keep my straps clean and out of the light. They get checked before every trip for any signs of fraying or broken fibers. Properly stored there should be no expiration date.

fading, cuts, fraying, over-stretching, mildew, burns/melting = replace.

A good nylon strap will last decades if kept out of the sun and free from mildew and excess heat.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who is a climbing guide, I mentioned to him I still had harness from 10+ years ago. He said there were recent findings that nylon webbing was deteriorating faster than previously thought, even kept on the shelf out of the sun. The 10 year rule came from previous studies and is now believed it should actually be 6 years. He mentioned a popular climber who died recently because his harness snapped during a fall, the harness was well taken care of and was not 10 years old. I realize they are two different uses but they are made of the same stuff. I will try to get the actual study from him and the name of the climber, but he deals with these issues everyday for his job, really for his life and the life of his clients.

Now after all of that I still have and use my strap that is also 10+ years old. If you are at least aware of the risks then you should be fine. If you are not intentionally hanging your rig off a cliff with the strap then again, I am sure you are fine. How many times have you needed a strap where if it broke death was imminent? I never have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior