Recovery Rope or Recovery Strap?

Mashurst

Adventurer
From my point of view, and having never actually used a rope, the ropes are just too bulky and seem more prone to tangling in storage. I keep two of ARBs under the back seat of my jeep in a very small space and they stay nicely coiled and out of the way. I guess if I tried a rope and it was a significantly different pull experience, I would consider carrying one but the straps have always worked and just seem more manageable in a crowded rig.

That was a part of my decision process too. This winter, and when we are heading out on a trail, I keep a few things in the Jeep, Viair 300P, tire patch kit, first aid, a cooler, blanket, gloves. The Weekender kit and a couple soft shackles now ride along without taking up much room.

WSS

Rock Stacker
TRE makes some nice gear. I use their soft shackles most places now, simply lighter, easier and safer.

I recently redid my recovery gear and ditched all the heavy stuff. Saved 23lbs. I put all the gear in one ATC recovery bag

This is where the weight savings is, over 40lbs!

Soft shackles work great once I rounded the attachment points.

Nicely tucked in a ATC bag:

IMG_9748(1).JPG

IMG_9746(2).JPG

The sleeved rope is a 3/8" winch line extension from TRE (30') I have left my 20k strap out of the gear. I will see how well the new rope works.
IMG_9747(2).JPG

The recovery bag fits well with my other ATC bags, one is the "kitchen" bag and the other is a tool case. I need to sew a velcro piece to the recovery bag for ID.
IMG_9981.JPG

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Stick with the chain, I've carried one for 40 years. Considered the hi tech alternates but why.... my ego does not need stroking by rescuing anyone. The chain does it all and the number one use is dragging trees to clear a path. STEEL is the best choice when dragging anything. Plus for that annual let me help you..... a chain does it with way more control than anything kinetic.

Every spring when the water level drops these logs need to be dragged out of the way to access the beach.... the chain always works.
When, if I get stuck, the chain works. If someone else gets stuck and NEEDS a kinetic strap or rope .... I hope they have one.

The stretch of the straps are what a '65 Chevy stepside in Baja used to help pull out my friend's F-250 sunk to the axles . A chain doesn't allow any speed without hurting a component. We'd still be there.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One quick note: When shopping for a recovery strap, make sure to check and see if the strap is Polyester or Nylon. A Nylon strap has a much softer 'hit' to it and is typically a better choice for a kinetic recovery. A polyester strap, while it still has some stretch, it has a much firmer less forgiving feel to it.

All good points folks, and thank you! I’m sure I’m not the only one to learn from this thread.

FYI, I’ve “gotten” to use both my new ARB recovery strap, and my old faithful chain in the last couple of weeks, go figure.

s.e.charles

Q: how is recovery strap rating determined?

Q2: how do i interpret the weight versus possible use?

Q3: do i match the ### rating of soft shackle to strap?

related sort of.
Can you combine akinetic recovery rope with a winch to get extra length where you cant reach a suitable anchor point to connect to?

Ordered the ARB Weekender strap kit with shackles. Also got an ARB soft shackle coming. Nothing wrong with the Bubba, Yankum, Vulcan products that I looked at, but I am older and when I got started off-reading ARB was THE company. Hard to not look at them.
Might be a bit off topic, but considering all the posts I'm not the only one. Here goes:
Apart from the good gear I have carried for years a 5 metres or so piece of strap (aircraft cargo latch down strap, one can still faintly decipher on it "property of US Government" lol). Found it decades ago lying around. This is my "sacrificial" strap for easy to medium work in mud, sharp edges, pulling trees etc. Knotted in a loop at both ends.
Much to my surprise, it seems indestructible.
May be useful for when you don't want or don't need to risk the "good stuff"

Jupiter58

related sort of.
Can you combine akinetic recovery rope with a winch to get extra length where you cant reach a suitable anchor point to connect to?

It is a common practice, in the jeep community at least, fine as long as common sense and precautions are used.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
related sort of.
I would not recommend using a kinetic strap/rope during a winch (static) recovery.
Instead, insert a winch extension (static) rope/strap to reach the anchor point.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94