Recovery Points for E450

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I’ve got an E450-based rig that I’d like to add front recovery points to. I’ve seen several “universal fit” options out there, but I’ve never put them on or tried to use them. My trucks in the last have had factory points.

What options are there for Econoline-based front recovery points? What experience do you have in installing them? I’m 15k lb gross.

I would like to add a front hitch for bikes and motorcycle carrying, if that affects my options. Unless I had no other options, it wouldn’t be for recovery purposes.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I just got the camper back from the shop and took a look. It appears that the frame rails where most people bolt the recovery points have been taken up by welded on spring perches.

Assuming I could find rings with the right bolt pattern (F-350, maybe?), any reason I couldn’t use high grade hardware and bolt using the bumper mounts?CAD46E15-611D-4A03-A28B-858068E2C110.jpeg6054C5BA-681E-4109-ABCF-8F39278C7F5B.jpeg

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
This is going to be a thread wholly of my own posts….

I picked up a set of used Superduty recovery points off eBay. Of all the different options I saw, these had the narrowest dimension between the two bolt holes and should fit the frame horn best.

Theyre rated for (or spec’d on) the F-450 so that’s a similar GVWR, and I hope an indicator that they’re up to the task.

GlennA

Adventurer
I hate it that you're having to talk to yourself online.

On my E350 based class C motorhome, I'm planning to modify an existing front receiver hitch so that it sandwiches between the frame horn and the front bumper and has two 2" receivers that I can use for recovery points. The receivers will protrude from the opening in the bumper instead of below the bumper. Also, when I'm just traveling I think I can build a mount for my spare tire that will slide into both receivers.

That's my thoughts.

GlennA

Adventurer
Also, Ujoint has some nice bumpers with optional recovery points. A little more expensive than a pair of take offs tow hooks though.

quickfarms

Adventurer
That spring hanger is welded to the bottom if the front half of the crumple zone, interesting.

Most of the vehicles I work on are much heavier and it is generally easier to pull the stick vehicle out from the rear

What I would look at doing is removing the front bumper and using the bumper mounts and build a custom bumper

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I sent UJoint an email and chris replied promptly letting me know that he had bumpers but no recovery points. I think his bumpers are out of the budget for the time being. I have put on 7 new tires, shocks. In the next four weeks before I go to Baja, I’m adding solar and LiFeSO4 batteries, ARB air locker, and dual air compressor. All that is kinda hitting the wallet hard.

There’s a hitch and I have a shackle for it, but I suppose it’s equally likely to get stuck needing to go forward as back, depending on whether I’m coming or going. Since it’s so heavy, I’d really prefer two points to share the load. But one is all I get for now in the rear. I’ll weld in some frame gussets in the future, but…..

Im going to take off the bumper and mount the loops on top of the frame horns. I’ll then notch the bumper to fit. I’m not super happy it’s on the crush zones, but it should be fine. I hope it will be fine.

With 4wd, a locked rear and maxtrax, I should be able to self extract from some significant errors of judgment. But if I can’t, I want to maximize my chances of getting an assist from passing fishermen.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I hate it that you're having to talk to yourself online.

On my E350 based class C motorhome, I'm planning to modify an existing front receiver hitch so that it sandwiches between the frame horn and the front bumper and has two 2" receivers that I can use for recovery points. The receivers will protrude from the opening in the bumper instead of below the bumper. Also, when I'm just traveling I think I can build a mount for my spare tire that will slide into both receivers.

That's my thoughts.
Is your camper 2wd or do you have a different front spring setup?

I’m a little disappointed that I can’t add a front hitch easily with off the shelf parts. I’ll have to add that to the future plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles