Recovery Point Questions

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
My vehicle is a GMC 2500HD 4x4 pickup with a Four-Wheel camper on board, gross weight is about 8700lb when loaded for a trip. It has a factory installed Class V hitch receiver with a 13,000lb tow rating. First question: is this receiver an acceptable rear recovery point?

Second question: assuming the receiver is a good recovery point, would it be acceptable to attach a tow strap to the receiver using a standard 5/8" hitch pin? I would insert the loop on the tow strap into the receiver and slide the pin through the receiver and loop.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Second question: assuming the receiver is a good recovery point, would it be acceptable to attach a tow strap to the receiver using a standard 5/8" hitch pin? I would insert the loop on the tow strap into the receiver and slide the pin through the receiver and loop.
Any strap that will fit into the 2" receiver will probably not have the load rating for that size truck. Better than nothing, but not ideal.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Keep in mind that a receiver is designed to withstand pull in a straight line. If you do use it for recovery, do all you can to arrange a straight pull. A receiver shackle mount would be much better than cramming a strap inside the mount to secure with a pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior