Recovery how-not-to

Spikepretorius

Explorer
(Disclaimer: if this is a re-post then please slap me)

Check this recovery kit
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=468
1486.jpg

Michael Slade

Untitled
I like how the bolts are opposed...as if there was a premise of safety.

That is a hook through the head just waiting to happen.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Yikes!

I wouldn't try it unless there were no other options.

Edit: Scratch that - I would never do this.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have a recovery strap with a "CINCH" That ends up with the same potential "missle" danger, but

With proper care and attention and "vacate the premises" action they both work, as long as strict communication is maintained between the recovery leader and driver (should have a leader each time)

Special attention has to be paid, when sudden slack or tension drops the strap, these steps are worth more, that attachments with sharp edges !!

------------TAKE CARE--------------------

:costumed-smiley-007:smiley_drive::safari-rig::safari-rig: jimbo

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yikes!

I wouldn't try it unless there were no other options.

That's the worst part. They instruct you to go out and actually purchase these specific parts (grade 8 bolts, etc) intead of just going out and buying a proper D-shackle.

I could see this, maybe, if it were a life and death situation and you had a bucket of parts. But to *plan* to use these parts this way... Nobody with that bodge in their tool kit has any right to "belittle" anybody else.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Someone should really be holding a Bud Light in the background:sombrero: Why wouldn't they just girth hitch the straps together?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
That's the worst part. They instruct you to go out and actually purchase these specific parts (grade 8 bolts, etc) intead of just going out and buying a proper D-shackle.

I could see this, maybe, if it were a life and death situation and you had a bucket of parts. But to *plan* to use these parts this way... Nobody with that bodge in their tool kit has any right to "belittle" anybody else.

Yup,
I carry shackles if I had to do this but know that I should never ever do it.

Last edited:

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I wouldn't even use a shackle to connect two straps. A shackle is also a missile.
I use a knot with some twigs in it so it can be pulled apart afterwards.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
(Disclaimer: if this is a re-post then please slap me)

Check this recovery kit
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=468
1486.jpg

ive bent couple of these style of hooks before. first time it failed i had a shackle attached to it and that sucker flew like a rocket and tacoed the trucks tailgate that was tugging on me. Second time was just the strap itself and that left a nice dent in the same trucks tailgate (lucky no one got hurt). i dont really recommend them unless it was a light pull. but bolting them together like in the picture is just asking for trouble.

img_2998.jpg

A little off topic but heres an ideal of how must tension can be in a tow strap by itself. the strap broke off the truck that was tugging me and hit my 85 Bronco in the hood/grill. i already removed the grill since it just shattered but u can see the dent left in the hood. imagine there was a hook on the end... :Wow1:
img_2994.jpg

img_2995.jpg

img_2996.jpg

Last edited:

superpowerdave

Adventurer
Not a chance. Not even close.

I care enough for the safety of my family that I wouldn't wheel with someone who toted that around as acceptable recovery gear. The moment I watched someone pull that from a recovery bag would be the minute I walked my family as far as we could get.

Shackles are cheap ... real cheap, and I've yet to see one break under load, no matter where it was made.

The worst part is the source of this article. There is a certain amount of responsibility they have to their readers to promote safe, smart practices - obviously they forgot about that when they published the article.

They should take note. When one of these contraptions winds up in a skull somewhere it will be too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior