RECOMMENDED - Overland Hardware Lock Hasps

jayshapiro

Adventurer
So long as I'm in a good mood and endorsing products this week, I thought I might as well share my new Door Locks, courtesy of Overland Hardware, run by Joaquim Suave of Casa Azul fame.

It's quite likely that during our round-the-world trip, we're going to leave the truck for up to a couple of months at a time, if we have to fly back somewhere for family issues, etc. I knew we wanted a solid way of locking access to the EcoRoamer when we were away from it, so these seemed like a great fit.

I first saw these used on the Scott's Expedition West Taco, and read the review in the Overland Journal.

My original intention was to order a set of New York City Van locks like this:
41017.jpg

But then decided to give these a try, and they're beautiful. OH supplied the aluminum hasps, and a set of padlocks all with a single matching key.

We sprayed them in the paint booth to match the truck and they came out really nice. Here they are on the truck:
2541058755_99417929b2.jpg

2541881290_e0de5a06f2.jpg

No sharp edges either means they won't hurt anybody or catch on your clothes when getting in and out of the truck. We're thinking about spraying the locks neon orange as an extra visual deterent to keep people away from trying anything with the truck while we're gone.

I love the way they turned out, and thought I should share that. Here endeth the commercial...

Cheers,
Jay.

PS - I paid full price for these and received no compensation for this recommendation. Though a cold beer at the next ExPo campout would be nice!

Photog

Explorer
805gregg said:
Couldn't thieves just go through the windows?

And if they did go through the windows, and unlock the doors, the external lock is so far down, the door has a huge amount of leverage, and could be just ripped open.

I like the equipment; but I would have placed it up near the door handles. Criminals could still go through the window, but they would have to do everything, through the window (no open doors).

Consider some type of internal and external locks for the camper door also.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
It's all about deterring a thief. Moast thieves will pass on to a different vehicle that is easier pickings than one that has obviously had something added to it to help keep them out. If someone is really determined, they will get in pretty much no matter what you do.

njtaco

Explorer
C'mon guys, surely no-one actually thinks these (or almost any other lock) will stop a determined, or skilled, thief? The visual deterrent will stop the casual thief, and the lock will slow the determined thief. I don't remember what these cost, but I'll bet they are worth every dime over time. It is not like they will wear out...and the disc lock is disposable.

My 2C...

edit...dang, cj5guy types faster...:p

Photog

Explorer
oldcj5guy said:
It's all about deterring a thief. Moast thieves will pass on to a different vehicle that is easier pickings than one that has obviously had something added to it to help keep them out. If someone is really determined, they will get in pretty much no matter what you do.

All things being equal, I completely agree. But, if one vehicle looks a lot more enticing than the next, it is worth a bit of extra effort, to get in. I think this vehicle is going to look very appaeling, an I would want it to look much more difficult to break in.

njtaco

Explorer
Photog said:
I think this vehicle is going to look very appaeling, an I would want it to look much more difficult to break in.

I agree here...I suggest a pit bull (tongue in cheek)!

Photog

Explorer
We are planning to buy a van next year, and I plan to mount a set of these on it. They really are nice.

It is true that a determined thief will not be stopped; but you can make them work for it, and slow them down. The casual theif will just walk on by.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Photog said:
We are planning to buy a van next year, and I plan to mount a set of these on it. They really are nice.

It is true that a determined thief will not be stopped; but you can make them work for it, and slow them down. The casual theif will just walk on by.

Or break the window and crawl through...seems using a Taser has gotten popular with the 'break the window' crowd. Happened to our LC at high noon in San Francisco a couple months ago!

And folks are concerned about 3rd world theaves :rolleyes:

Photog

Explorer
spressomon said:
Or break the window and crawl through...seems using a Taser has gotten popular with the 'break the window' crowd.

Yes, break the window and crawl through. And have to crawl out, because the doors will not open. And if they want anything from inside the camper, they have to crawl in & out some more. If a determined thief can see that it would be a big PITA, most of them will walk by also.

The real thieves will tow it or trailer it away and cut it open, in a warehouse. I don't know how often that happens in other countries, when a vehicle has been in one place for a few weeks.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Casual but Determined

Hi Guys,

Glad this has started a bit of discussion. I think that the visual deterent is a huge piece of it. However, the differentiation between casual and determined thief might even be a bit too simplistic.

The casual thief will certainly walk by, based on it being seemingly too difficult.

The more 'pro' thief, is in it for a quick transaction with as little resistance / risk as possible. If he has 50 cars to choose from, he'll go after those with the least likelihood of jail time.

What I like about this setup is:
- The locks themselves can't be cut. Even bolt cutters (if the car thief carried a set - not usual car tools) are pretty useless given the design.

- Yes, they are mounted low, and maybe with a crowbar and some SERIOUS leverage you could pry the door open, but why would you want to, just go in through the window, hotwire it and then deal with the locks once you get back to your warehouse.

- Then, We have two more layers of protection:
1) The side windows (most common entry point) are coated with 3M Security Film, which would need a good 4-5 hits before they give way enough to climb through. Again, not fool proof, but enough to make the guy walk away.

2) We have a Clifford Alarm system with a anti-carjack feature. If anyone starts the car (either during a random street theft, or during a car jacking) without entering in the simple code on the two button panel, then the car will start and drive down the road, but then 2 minutes later, when the vehicle next stops (red light, etc) the engine will be immobilized and the alarm goes off. This gives us enough distance to be safely away from the robbers, but limits the radius that they can go to.

I think the locks are a great first step in that, because if nothing else they just seem like too much trouble for the average robber to want to deal with.

Lastly, have you seen the size of our truck? I'd like to see someone tow it away to rob it. Would have to be a seriously ambitious thief...

Cheers,
Jay.

Photog

Explorer
Jay,
You have thought through the whole process. Very good. And I understand your approach to the problem. I assume that if you must leave the vehicle for an extended period of time, you will be able to arrange a secured storage location?

Photog

Explorer
Curmudgeon said:
It also makes it very difficult to get OUT if you are trapped in the vehicle. -

Other than in the movies, how often does this happen? Are there any statistics on number of situations survived based on ability to break out side windows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles