RECOMMENDED - Overland Hardware Lock Hasps

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Photog said:
Other than in the movies, how often does this happen? Are there any statistics on number of situations survived based on ability to break out side windows?

I do know that on another forum a guy that ran the dive team for the local police was very, very concerned when he found out that OEMs were incorporating safety film into side windows.

In his area it was common for motorist to drive off the road and into one of the many local lakes. He said that it was next to impossible to break a windshield and get someone out due to the film. Having the film on all windows concerned him greatly.

This was a few years ago.

OTOH, the Mythbusters were surprised at how well electric windows continued to work after being submerged. ;)

Photog

Explorer
Lynn said:
I do know that on another forum a guy that ran the dive team for the local police was very, very concerned when he found out that OEMs were incorporating safety film into side windows.

In his area it was common for motorist to drive off the road and into one of the many local lakes. He said that it was next to impossible to break a windshield and get someone out due to the film. Having the film on all windows concerned him greatly.

This was a few years ago.

OTOH, the Mythbusters were surprised at how well electric windows continued to work after being submerged. ;)

Interesting info from the police. Windshields do not have a film. They are two layers of glass, with a clear polymer between them. It does not want to break in the first place, and after it does, it does not want to change shape, easily. Windshileds are glued to the window frame, and are not easily removed.

Side windows are temperd such that they will turn to glass crumbs, at the first strong impact. If there is a film on the inside of the glass, the glass will still turn to crumbs. This is easily deformed, like a heavy canvas. Also, the side glass is not glued into the frame. When the glass crumbles, and the whole mess becomes flexable, the you can push it out (or in) from the window frame.

LE should be doing tests to se how difficult it is or is not, to get through a tinted side window (not shooting through it, but but using their punch tool).

Photog

Explorer
I think you are probably correct about what the officer said. The police are told a lot of false info about tinted windows. Some LE are concerned you can't shoot through it.

The actual security films, that Jay is using, are much tougher than regular tinting; but the glass will still shatter easily, using the pointed punch. Then you still have to push the glass out of the window frame.

From the testing I have seen, these films to reduce the chances of the window breaking, when hit with an elbow or foot.

What is really nice about these films, is they hold all the glass crumbs together, when the window breaks. So if something happens, while you are in the vehicle, you dont get covered with a bunch of sharp glass crumbs (or get any in your eyes).

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Photog said:
What is really nice about these films, is they hold all the glass crumbs together, when the window breaks. So if something happens, while you are in the vehicle, you dont get covered with a bunch of sharp glass crumbs (or get any in your eyes).

You see... that's the whole thing about rolling your car off a cliff and into some deep dark lake -- it's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye! :oops:

Cheers,
Jay.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Curmudgeon said:
It also makes it very difficult to get OUT if you are trapped in the vehicle.

-

Certainly a valid point, but as other have mentioned, how often does this really happen, and in this situation, which is more important? I would think an expedition vehicle, prepared to be driven through areas that may be marginally secure at best, and even worse, preparing to leave it in areas that may be marginally secure at best would want to seriously consider such protection, and probably would value it above the ability to easily exit the vehicle by breaking the glass.

Photog said:
Side windows are temperd such that they will turn to glass crumbs, at the first strong impact. If there is a film on the inside of the glass, the glass will still turn to crumbs. This is easily deformed, like a heavy canvas. Also, the side glass is not glued into the frame. When the glass crumbles, and the whole mess becomes flexable, the you can push it out (or in) from the window frame.

Photog said:
The actual security films, that Jay is using, are much tougher than regular tinting; but the glass will still shatter easily, using the pointed punch. Then you still have to push the glass out of the window frame.

Take five minutes to watch the 'Vehicle Protection' video on this page. Granted it is a sales tool for the company, but unless they are misrepresenting the performance of their products, I think it addresses these two statements.

If you read around on the site, installation on tempered glass requires a process of 'anchoring' the laminate to the edges of the glass using an epoxy material. It looks like it maintains its integrity and resistance to forced entry pretty well, even after being shattered, but it is a sales video, so if you have personal experience to counter this, please add.

Also note, that depending upon the level of security required, the higher level films also meet bomb blast, and small arms fire resistance standards..

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Jay, you sure have a knack for starting threads that go from benign to active! I mean, from lock hasps to bulletproof glass, from truck build to save-the-universe... And all with no prodding! You just set the ole ball a rollin'.

What's your secret? :)

Photog

Explorer
jayshapiro said:
You see... that's the whole thing about rolling your car off a cliff and into some deep dark lake -- it's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye!

:xxrotflma :xxrotflma :xxrotflma :xxrotflma

Photog

Explorer
Best4x4xfar said:
Take five minutes to watch the 'Vehicle Protection' video on this page. Granted it is a sales tool for the company, but unless they are misrepresenting the performance of their products, I think it addresses these two statements.

That is some serious laminate. That is definitely much stronger than the typical heavy-duty tinting film. I can truely respect Jay's choice with this product.

I have seen demos from other laminate manufacturers, and they are less than truthful in their demos. ACE does it the right way, and they can still add a little drama, for good measure.

I like the looks of their home and automitive products too.

We might all be needing this stuff on our homes, if the Global-Warming-weather becomes too intense. Oops, different topic. My bad.:)

Jay,
I do tend to play the Devil's Advocate, and your choices are definitely meeting the challenge. What type of security will there be on the camper section of the rig?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Great topic brought on my these door hasps.

Is there any pictures of how they bolt through the inside? I'd like to see that. We plan on getting 2 sets for all 4 doors of our 80 series some day.

Photog

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
Great topic brought on my these door hasps.

Is there any pictures of how they bolt through the inside? I'd like to see that. We plan on getting 2 sets for all 4 doors of our 80 series some day.

Maybe 5 doors?

Or is the rear of an 80 inherently secure?

Jay,
Do you choose the location, based on where you have access, or based on the most reinforced portion of the door?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I dont know if i'd even mess with the rear hatch/tailgate on our 80. It's pretty dang secure and plus it has 2 spare swingouts in front of it and a trailer tounge behind it that you have to hop over. I don't think a criminal would waste their time to get in that way.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
A thing to consider with the film...

if broken and pushed in, it will be dificult due to the glass pushing on itself with the film holding it together on the inside.

When pushing from the inside out, it will fold and be removed much easier
as the glass simply seperates and only has the strength of the film.

Security of self and equipment whilst travelling is aways a concern..

Low key travel won't work in well preped overland vehicle

so your only options are...make it as dificult, noisy and noticable as possible.

Grills over windows.....exterior locks, alarms, sirens and flashing lights...etc etc.......

A "security guard" paid $ 5.00 will not put his life on the line for your vehicle, he will simply become smoke...and appear later

I quite like the propane flame throwers as in SA......:pROFSheriffHL:

and am presently working through how to buy pepper balls........
and a Tiberius arms T8.

The Co2 pistols easy...just need a friend in law inforcement.....won't get the range of the Police version...but suitable for home /car defence

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Choices

Hi All,

This has turned in to a great thread. Should be some indication of the latent demand out there for these lock hasps...

We chose to mount them near the bottom of the doors because:

- It's easily accessible for mounting - rather than trying to tunnel in to the middle of the doors to get a wrench inside, for the back side of the the bolts.

- In that truck, the "bottom" of the doors, is actually at about eye-level, so (especially once the locks are painted) will serve as a bold reminder not to try anything with this truck.

I will try to get you some pictures of the backside of the hasps, but they are not the easiest to take because of the internal shape of the doors.

------------------

As for security on the camper portion... my wife is pushing hard for a Gattling Gun mounted on the roof. I disagree with this approach because I think it would shade the solar panels! :bigbossHL:

So instead we're going for:

1. The cargo bay doors have electric locks that disable the handle mechanism entirely.
    2. There is no ladder to access the roof from the outside, the only way up there is from the over-cab bed area.
    3. The windows are all well above reaching height, and have double locks on the inside. We're considering putting aluminum shutters over these, so that when closed down the entire camper will look like an aluminum cargo truck, rather than an Expedition vehicle.
    4. The main camper door handle is a flush type, so it can't be pulled open with a tow rope, etc.
    5. The spare & bikes, etc, are stored "inside" the vestibule between the ramp door and the internal rear wall (18" gap)
    6. I'm going to try to wire the main camper door, to be a part of the cab's alarm system so it triggers that too.

We are travelling with two little (blonde) kids. Although we've been through a lot of the world already, this will be our first time overlanding with them and security has been a big area of concern/planning for the family. Probably more than it should/needs to be, and common sense is almost always the best 'system', but then it will be a looong trip and things do happen...

Here's a small example of the crowd our son regularly attracted during his last trip to China:
959162035_8134603ea6.jpg

960011474_828a34d498.jpg

(India was even worse, with literally dozens of people asking to take their pictures with our kids)

They don't mean any harm, but being 'swarmed' by crowds like that constantly makes you very wary, and nervous about your pockets.

The truck will surely attract even more attention...

Cheers,
Jay.

Cheers,
Jay.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Reading this thread has been quite interesting. Especially since I tend to go in an opposite direction when it comes to people trying to break into a parked unattended vehicle.

My approach for long term parking is to leave nothing of value in the vehicle and leave the doors unlocked on the assumption that whatever anyone takes will be worth less than the cost of fixing/replacing the door or replacing windows. What I try to do is make the vehicle hard to start without knowing the hidden switch and I lock the bonnet to make access to the engine compartment harder.

My approach for an unattended couple hour to overnight stop is to keep anything of value out of site & miss direction. A closed cabinet could be empty or full of pieces of 8. Who's to know unless you go through the effort of breaking in and possibly being spotted doing so. Its a risk vs reward thing and with a lot of vehicles sitting around maybe it is easier to break into the car with interesting stuff in view.

Also when I'm loaded with thousands of dollars in camera gear and out of the car I pack the gear out of site and put a cheapo digital or disposable film camera in plain site. Sometimes misdirection helps. If the gear people can see is old & has no resale value, likely what you can't see is more of the same.

My basic philosophy is that if someone is determined enough they can break into anything. The harder it is to do, the worse & more expensive the damage becomes. I would prefer them to go through the vehicle and take what they will without damaging the vehicle then have them damage the vehicle then take whatever they want. Also a vehicle that looks empty or likely to have stuff that is not worth trying to resell is less likely than one that appears to be full of maybe expensive stuff.

And most of my camping gear is built in, so you need a set of tools and to know the order of disassembly if you want to steal the stove or anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior